Thoughts on Composing/Writing

How do you feel about limitations and writing? Do you work better having guidelines or feeling free to pursue whatever idea strikes you? What are some ways that help you realize that you've gone too far? Have you ever had a hard time saying, "This is as it should be and I'm ready to show the world!"

Thanks!

Hi,

i am definitely more creative if i am dealing with limitations...that is why i tend to write songs exclusively on one instrument and try to not having to add any external elements....i feel this way i am forced to express myself with the given tool, and to work around limitations to achieve whatever it is i want to achieve.

I like to feel i am in a "band" (for lack of better term) with my instruments, especially old ones, where writing is really like a chess game:

I make a move and the machine makes another, which in turn influences my next decision.

Fun, but i wish i'd go out more!

A

Yeah, limitations can definitely spur creativity. Especially when we have so many options available to us.

I tend to do this one of three ways.... I pick a soundset to work with exclusively, maybe something from one synth only or a set of third party samples that are all percussion for instance.

Or I'll pick a style and go with that.

Or, if I'm writing for a TAXI submission, then the genre is set for me and I work with that.

But sometimes, it's just open season; I'm noodling with some sound, trying to find inspiration and something clicks and then I'll just build on that.