Destroyer remix with TR+AR

The Telepathe track Destroyer was remixed by yourself, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross a few months ago.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/telepathe/destroyer-trent-reznor[/soundcloud]

This track is unbelievably good. The chorus just blows me away. Is that Piano sampled or was it recorded on a full/baby grand? If sampled might one be told of it's origins? Is that "tom/stick" sound a synth that's run through something like delay designer to control the amplitudes/rhythms?

In a broader sense; You Trent and Atticus seem to have this...spacious electronic sound that I find really appealing but I've no idea where it comes from. It doesn't sound like any reverb I used but these tracks, SONIO, Dragon Tattoo Soundtrack, etc..., seem to definitely have a signature "space" to them. Is there some shared technique that you all utilize in achieving that or is it just complete domination of sin waves?

Thanks again for doing this!

Hi,

Happy you liked the remix...we had a great time working on it.

The piano was definitely sample based, but i cannot recall what we used....maybe NI's Akoustik Piano?

The chorus drums were run through an Echoboy, so those are the repetitions you're hearing.

It's hard to say where the sound/space comes from: all i can say is that it's not a conscious last step of the process...there was a tendency to keep our ears attentive to how things sounded from the get go, therefore i would say the music always retains a good sound and space throughout the process...mixing was the last stage where it really just got polished and readied for delivery.

To add to this, i am convinced that using real hardware instruments tends to fill up the spectrum a bit more than using all in the box sound sources, making the job of fitting it all together much easier. Even some software instruments are run from a separate computer rig, coming into the main rig as physical audio tracks, through preamps.

I hope this answers your question!

A