Safari Web Content quit unexpectedly.. ahhh -

I know this isn't an audio related issue but it's driving me nuts. Safari keeps crashing with this pop up screen showing this warning along with the beach ball spinning. Happens every time I'm checking my email on Yahoo, typing messages on Facebook (or any other forum that has lots of ads), and just about any other time that would be inconvenient to me. In fact, it's happening on almost every website I visit now. Although it doesn't happen very much on LPH... I'm not sure why. I wonder it it's from all of the advertisements and Flash content? Flash Player is up to date if that matters. 

I'm using Safari 9.1.3 on a 27" iMac with 10.9.5, 3.4 Ghz Quad Core i7, 16 GB RAM, with 63 GB of storage space left on my Mac OS System SSD (250 GB total). Any ideas on what might be causing it or what I could do to fix it other than going to a back up... since that drive failed (yes, when it rains it pours)? I just wanted to edit this post to reiterate that I don't have a current backup to use. I do plan on buying a new drive soon but finances have just been too tight for me to fit it into my budget. I would really appreciate any suggestions you might have. It's happening so much that I'm considering reinstalling everything. I really don't want to do that without a backup, but I don't have another device to use for internet, and my productivity is next to zero with this issue. Thanks for your help!!

I tried for several days to get this problem fixed with no luck. Even tried the suggestions over at Apple's support community. I just needed to be able to spend quite a bit of time online, so I downloaded Mozilla Firefox and haven't had a single issue. That works for me. I'll be updating my computer to Mac OS 10.12 sometime soon. Maybe after that I will get back to Safari.

Check your preferences in Safari, and make sure no extensions are running that you're not aware of.  If you are running any that you want to keep, then ensure they are all up to date (important!).

Also, for ads, you can run Ad Block Plus extension, that will prevent most of those flash ads from loading up.

One other thing to try is in Safari Prefs, Security tab you can disable plugins - see if this helps.

If that doesn't help then when this occurs again go to MacOS's own Activity Monitor and see which pages are not responding.  Sometimes it helps to change the view in Activity Monitor to Hierarchy, so you can see what's going on within Safari's eco system.

Thank you for the tips. I'll try that when I get home later. I've been holding off on updating my system for long enough so I plan on doing it hopefully this weekend. Firefox isn't actually all that bad. It's been a long time since I've used it and I like the improvements they've made over the years. It's much more robust now and I like being able to customize the theme. Still not sure why Safari started bugging out all of a sudden but It's not a concern anymore. Thanks again!!