A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

Topic Author
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: New, York

Update my trashcan 2015,wait, or buy a new 2019 mac pro

Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:31 pm

I have a 2015 6 core 3.5 MG, Mac pro, with 64 gig of memory, 1TB SSD and two Thunderbolt 2 raid systems set to it. After asking around, I was told the 6 core would be the best fit for me. Well it wasn't. I usually end up with about 130 tracks, but 30 - 45 tracks of audio when finished.
Of course every new computer that comes out, the virtual instrument companies will create VI's that use a lot more CPU power. I like to keep my song in live MIDI form for as long as possible. If however I use complex UVI or U-he instrument patches, I can bring Mac to a stop with about 15 instruments, (actually I get a loud click and then no audio). My solution is to turn some patches into audio, save instrument as channel strip, and then reset it to nothing. Then I can continue. But as I work on a piece, I sometimes decide to change a chord in middle, do some harmonies, which requires me to do over the audio tracks again. A hassle, but doable

OWC (Other World Computing) offers a 2 TB SSD, $699 and a 12 core CPU $479. The new SSD is runs twice as fast, and OWC claims the architecture of the Mac can handle that. The instructions to replace the 6 core CPU with the 12 Core are very clear cut. Having experience with the insides of a Mac and PC. I feel I can do it myself. OWC charges $700 for the service. I bought my two RAID systems from them, and am very pleased with their professionalism, quality, prices, etc.

From what I'm gathering, with the 2019 mac pro, there will certainly be substantially more expensive. possibly putting it beyond my budget. I'm debating whether to upgrade my Mac pro. I was hoping Apple would come out with a somehow cheaper model of 2019 in a year or 2. But the more I think about it, I doubt it.

I was wondering what others are considering. I certainly don't want to go the 'hackintosh' route. I've use Logic for over 30 years, and don't want to change DAWs, or platforms at this stage of my life.

I'd love to hear other's thoughts about this.
MacPro 2015 6 core - 64 gig of ram
OSX 10.14.2
Logic Pro 10.4.2
RME fireface 800, Genelec 8040A's
Genos, Motif XS Rack, Korg M3, Intrega 7
Kontakt and UVI libraries, U-he, Madrona Labs, Music Labs, Serum, Synthmaster,
SampleTank,Falcon,UVI, A.I.R. MusicTechnologies
User avatar
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:52 am
Location: Mooloolaba

Re: Update my trashcan 2015,wait, or buy a new 2019 mac pro

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:26 pm

Have you thought about a new Mac mini? No personal experience but they seem to getting a good wrap for capability for music.
27" iMac Pro 1.1 8 core 64 GB with 27" Thunderbolt display
MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, Logic X 10.4.6 1TB SSD,
4 TB G-RAID thunderbolt & 4TB USB
RME UFX via Firewire
MOTU MIDI express XT, Seaboard 25 via USB
Roland AT45, Kurzweil PC2r, PC3X, Arturia MatrixBrute, 12Step & BCF2000 via MIDI
User avatar
Posts: 3646
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:59 am
Location: Slovenia

Re: Update my trashcan 2015,wait, or buy a new 2019 mac pro

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:59 am

they're great! The minis.

I'd buy the new Mac Pro if it wasn't 4999$ starting point with a measly 8-core.
2018 Mini i7 | 2018 13" Quad i5 | Mojave 10.14.6 | Logic 10.4.6
RME FireFace 400 | ROLI Seaboard RISE 25 | ROLI Blocks
User avatar
Posts: 1676
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Update my trashcan 2015,wait, or buy a new 2019 mac pro

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:02 am

Mac Mini or change platforms, for me. I currently have one foot in Win/Cubase land and it's been ok.. Not ideal, of course after being a Mac Pro user for so long (like learning a new language lol) but it's worth knowing what the alternatives are.... And it ain't all that scary now i'm 6+ months in.

Being able to maintain/upgrade/fix my own machines is a big factor for me, hence my move personally.

But as per the previous replies, Mac Mini hands down the sweet spot machines for Audio users. That's very clear.