iTunes Match and Content Creators

Hi all,

Questions for content creators. (I figured Logic Pro Help was a perfect place to ask this.)

http://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/

It seems that when you use iTunes Match, if it doesn't know about a song, such as your own writing collaborations/creations, finished masters and incomplete song demos etc., it will upload them to iCloud and be available on your other devices.

- Is there any official word from Apple as to what happens concerning your personal music creations and iTunes Match?

- Do these personal song creations ever show up beyond your own iCloud Account? Is there a possibility of them showing up in public?

- I imagine that we would still have full ownership of them - wouldn't we?

You (almost) always have ownership of whatever you create, but nevertheless I never allow a sound-file to go anywhere outside of my computer but that there is a copyright-notice in the metadata.  (Ordinarily, a music player will display that information while the song plays.)  And, yes, I assemble a collection and spend my $35.00 to register them all with the US Copyright Office.

(Incidentally; this notion of a "collection" is simply for administrative practicality ... to make the Office's workload more manageable.  For $35.00 you can register (almost) as many works at the same time as you wish.  The registration applies, jointly and severally, to all of them.  There is no legal concept of a "collection.")  See:  http://www.copyright.gov.)

iTunes Match, as I read it, is not "publishing" anything, because no one other than the subscriber is able to retrieve from their account.  Nevertheless, when any file of mine wings its way beyond the boundaries of my home, it's got a © around its neck.

Edited by MikeRobinson

• 4 months later...