Soundcloud for my studio, or no Soundcloud?

Hi 

I used Soundcloud for a couple years now. The copyright disputes are getting harder and harder. A lot of uploads are rejected, although I am the producer and writer. I'm thinking of dropping Soundcloud, because at the moment I'm not convinced of any benefits over all those hassles. 

What would you recommend...

Should I keep using Soundcloud to upload references of all my productions, mixes & masterings?

Or drop Soundcloud entirely? 

Why?

Cheerio and a bonne weekend

Murat

FWIW I mostly stopped uploading to Soundcloud, except for a few tracks I used as background on personal YouTube videos.  My current site was built to share music clips by using SoundCloud integration but I've asked the developer to find another solution for the new site (coming in a couple of months).  I've fallen out of love with SoundCloud.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi 

I used Soundcloud for a couple years now. The copyright disputes are getting harder and harder. A lot of uploads are rejected, although I am the producer and writer. I'm thinking of dropping Soundcloud, because at the moment I'm not convinced of any benefits over all those hassles. 

What would you recommend...

Should I keep using Soundcloud to upload references of all my productions, mixes & masterings?

Or drop Soundcloud entirely? 

Why?

Cheerio and a bonne weekend

Murat

I stopped using Soundcloud completely last year after reading an article that opened by eyes and also because I always felt that Soundcloud is ran by "spoiled" kids who just want to have a website and "be cool", instead of actually listening to their users, who pay their bills.

For more than once I told them that I was getting notifications from my own comments, so someone would make a comment on my song, I would reply and I would get a notification of my own reply. Stupid! Nothing was done to fix that.

I once suggested that there was a pause button so we could pause, hit the "back" button (to go to the beginning of the song and stop there without playing) and then hit pause/play so the song could start. At the time I wanted to make some videos, but wanted to being able to play the song WHEN i was ready. Their answer was pretty much the same as saying "we don't care about it, deal with it", but in a polite way.

The player sometimes doesn't work unless you click somewhere else in the song to kinda make it "wake up" like "hey dude, you're a music player, you're supposed to start when I hit Play" lol

For a website that's known as probably the most used and famous music website in the world, is full of bugs and they keep making decisions that benefit big labels and benefit their own pockets and f*** their users in the a**.

It's full of spam and there's not a single sign they are fixing it. Recently I opened an account just to share some music with someone I want to work with, just because it's fast to upload. A minute after I uploaded the tracks, I had comments, likes and private messages from spammers. Come on, Facebook doesn't have that. Twitter doesn't have that. Instagram doesn't have that. If they are making millions and can have offices in Berlin, New York, London, etc, then hire good developers that come up with ways to prevent that.

Soundcloud is full of producers who want you (producer) to listen to their stuff. I guess you're familiar with the type of comment "hey cool stuff. check mine too". Yeah, right, you listened to my stuff, loved it and it was by chance that you asked me to check yours. Thanks, but no thanks.

So overall, my experience with Soundcloud is not positive. They could be a great website, but to be honest, they are already dying and it's a matter of time until someone comes with something similar, but better. To me they are pretty much the MySpace of 2017. Until the "Facebook" of music shows up, they will last. When something new surfaces, they are gone forever with no way to come back.

Put your stuff on YouTube. That's what I do :)

I just ditched the renewal, and 1-2 weeks later the news came that the fire a lot of people :D

SC is dying... YT is not the right tool to give my webpage visitors some audio examples of my productions, mixes, etc. 

Maybe I just upload a couple of direct links to MP3-snippets. Most browser automatically stream or at least download the file. That's how I did it in the beginning.  

I just ditched the renewal, and 1-2 weeks later the news came that the fire a lot of people :D

SC is dying... YT is not the right tool to give my webpage visitors some audio examples of my productions, mixes, etc. 

Maybe I just upload a couple of direct links to MP3-snippets. Most browser automatically stream or at least download the file. That's how I did it in the beginning.  

Yeah SC is definitely dying. Finally :P

I'm sure there are audio players out there that you can use and embed the audio on your website. If you use Wordpress, there are a lot of alternatives too.

For YouTube, you can create a playlist and then embed the playlist, instead of individual videos.

But still videos... So I'd need to first create a video... Too much of work, for just some audio examples. 

I guess the best way is as you say. Some kind of embedded player, that connects to a specific folder, where all the snippets reside. Let me see if I can find something. 

There's a website that converts audio to video and uploads automatically, so it's pretty much the same thing as just uploading the audio

https://www.tunestotube.com

YouTube is still where people go to when they want to find music.

It if you don't really want that, then yes, create an account somewhere and embed the player :)

But still videos... So I'd need to first create a video... Too much of work, for just some audio examples. 

I guess the best way is as you say. Some kind of embedded player, that connects to a specific folder, where all the snippets reside. Let me see if I can find something. 

There's a website that converts audio to video and uploads automatically, so it's pretty much the same thing as just uploading the audio

https://www.tunestotube.com

YouTube is still where people go to when they want to find music.

It if you don't really want that, then yes, create an account somewhere and embed the player :)

Now this is cool. Great site. Will have a deeper look.