Now What? Logic Pro or....

NoPro

Its been a long time since ive been on this forum.....i am on Logic Pro 7,2,3 lol on an older PPC Mac.....honestly i am a straight audio guy (no Midi programming at all )

on the other hand Logic Pro was how i ever learned about VI's....which are great and incorporates midi....still my point being i am most a straight audio guy who would never touch midi if it wasnt for logicpro 7. all that being said most daws now use VI's and its looking similar since Logic had groundbreaking VI's...

There was talk of the death of logic pro way back when i was about to move on to a different version of Logic Pro .. upgrading updating buying another computer and just recording can be daunting...especially with some physical setbacks....

so here i am to ask Logic users for some feedback about the latest version of logic and other DAWs.

i started on PT and left off at version 5.1. i dont think i can afford PT ever at this point so id suppose we can leave pro tools out as its out of my price range..

I tried studio one 3 artist version and was quite impressed at the features...but this is a logic forum so let me ask about the current version of logic....how different is it from version 7 ? i know that a loaded question so be easy on me....really just checking in and getting a feel for the future of logicpro...is it going to stay strong and advance versions/does it need to... ?....once again i am more of a straight audio guy but use at least 20 plus tracks asong in general ....has sound quality improved dramatically...? is logic more or less proprietary to mac? not sure i can stay on a mac is why i ask....lots of thoughts too much to write...appreciate your feedback. thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

To my way of thinking, there's a reason why you see ... very specifically ... Macintoshes being used in the visual and the musical arts. Apple unabashedly owns the one-and-only hardware platforms that their stuff runs on, and they equip them with really good components. Furthermore, they take care of things like (for the visual arts ...) monitor calibration. If you walk into an Apple store and look at everything in the store when it's displaying "the same image," you will see the same image. (Try doing the same thing in the TV section at Wal-Mart, or the PC computer section at Office Max.) :roll: Much the same thing can be said of sound.

While it is "obviously true" that PCs can do just fine at the same things, "Microsoft never attempted to control the hardware." Two computer manufacturers are under no obligation to equip their machines with the same stuff that the next guy used, and "calibration" is a word unknown to them. I've always used Apple equipment for my own work – although in my trade I'm constantly exposed to computers of all flavors – specifically to avoid that headache.

• 2 weeks later...

ProTools is now also subscription based, and there are native versions that are cheaper (~400-500 bucks) than the HW versions.

I own Protools and Cubase, and I hate doing audio in them. (I do it when i have to, but I'm faster and better with Logic)

Also tried Studio One v3.5 and since the v1 which lacked some things, V3.5 got most of those, but also gained weight. interface looks like the same bloated POS like Cubase now.