New secure notification emails for this board

Hello all,

For years I have battled with notification emails deliverability. Meaning that while some users do receive their notifications, others receive it but the notifications go to their spam/junk box, and finally others never receive them at all. Very frustrating when I've spent time to answer a question in detail but the recipient isn't notified that his thread was answered.

Now I've changed the notifications to use SSL Secure emails, so hopefully we should see more reliable notification email delivery. Please do use this thread to comment or report anything you notice. Do you get notifications now when you didn't before? That's what I'd like to hear.

Thanks!

PS: Follow this link to adjust your notification settings on Logic Pro Help

Thanks David for all you're doing for all of us. A question: I followed the link to adjust notification settings and noticed that underneath the edit notification options there was an option for "topics you have bookmarked." I didn't know we are able to bookmark topics. How do I do this?

Thanks David for all you're doing for all of us. A question: I followed the link to adjust notification settings and noticed that underneath the edit notification options there was an option for "topics you have bookmarked." I didn't know we are able to bookmark topics. How do I do this?

At the bottom of a thread, click the action wheel and choose Bookmark topic:

bookmark.png.a00cbc8e368a77871c4c45195da21f55.png

just a note, SMTPS secures the transport way between the email-servers, the emails themselves are not note encrypted, so this are not "SSL-emails", every email-server in the middle can read the email in clear text.

Thanks. So does that make a difference on the receiving end? Does an email secured that way look more trustworthy to the receiving server than an email that wasn't secured that way? My biggest concern is not so much about making the email secure (they're just standard notification emails, nothing critical), but to make them look trustworthy so they don't get filtered out by spam filters or so they don't end up in the recipient's junk box.

Unfortunately, David ... "no." Only time will tell how client-side will actually view these messages, but odds are that they will not [be capable of seeing] any difference at all, and therefore will not react differently.

When I "visit a web-site," the exchange is synchronous – I submit my request, and then within the same exchange receive my response. Furthermore, I know that the entire exchange has, start-to-finish, occurred within a (say ...) "https umbrella." Unfortunately, absolutely none of this applies to e-mail, which is asynchronous. Thus, the recipient of an e-mail message has "nothing more or less than that e-mail's content" to rely on: the recipient has no idea how it got from there to here.

And so, he only way to "secure" an e-mail message – or, to verify its provenance and thus its authenticity – is to employ readily available companion crypto-technology that so far as I know has never yet been universally adopted (in stark contrast to "https:") ... message signing. That is to say, to embed information into the message itself "that could vouch for it, regardless of how or when or by what means it arrived."

Yes, these technologies ("S/MIME" and/or "PGP/GPG") have existed for decades. But, so far, mail.google.com (today, who else matters?) has not yet seen fit to embrace them – although it actually once did.

"Beats the hell out of me" why this continues to be so. ("Waitaminit, Southwest ... you secure your web-site six ways from Tuesday, but then you send me a boarding pass by (non-secure) e-mail?!?!)

• 2 months later...

Hi David,

Another massive thumbs-up for al the work you put in.

Unfortunately, whereas before I was receiving notifications for answers to posted by myself, now I don't. I do receive notifications about posts I've read in the past, etc. tRied unchecking, rechecking, etc. Is there a separate check box soley for replies to threads one has started that perhaps I haven't seen?

Just in case the info helps .-)

David, if you do have problems with notifications etc. it's probably more likely to do with the mail server which is sending them out and how they appear on blacklists and reverse/mx record lookups than SSL. Most of the time these are shared servers and so follow a similar pattern, unless you're hosting your own hardware, and it's there you need to look.

Have a check on mxtoolbox to see:-

https://mxtoolbox.com/domain/logicprohelp.com/

Like most domains, you have no DMARC policy set. While this shouldn't affect deliverable email, some mail providers do reject even with no policy. So worth looking in to.