iMac making weirs sounds through speakers

You guys know more than most general Mac forums, so I thought I might ask about this. My iMac was making a continuous "modulating" high pitched sound. It would even pan from left to right and back. This sound was coming from my speakers. I disconnected my interface, switched inputs and outputs to internal speakers/mic... and it still happened. Did a hardware test and it was clean. Reset SCM and PRAM and now it is gone. I am running Mojave 10.14.4

This was really weird. I hope it was just some odd anomaly never to come back and/or software and not hardware related. 10.14.4 has been buggy for me - Ableton and Logic crashing here and there when they never ever did before (well, never Logic, Ableton less so).

Your signature indicates that you are running an obsolete Logic version. Current one being v.10.4.4...

SMC / PRAM reset does indeed often solve deep software related issues.

Computers are very complex devices, which software components could get messed with after modifying them (i.e. adding/removing drivers, etc). Most of the time, the only possible approach to solve same is empiric. Resetting SMC / PRAM shortcuts that approach.