OSX and midi thru?

Is there an OSX app that is simply a midi thru function, say I dont want to open up Logic to use my midi keyboard and just want to boot the Mac and be able to play thru and back to the keyboard?

This would keep me from having to set Local=ON all the time on my keyboard and I could leave it LOCAL=OFF as my default for use with Logic

Thanks

I'm a little confused by the terminology ...

I think of "MIDI Thru" as being a hardware feature: something that passed the "MIDI In" input directly and separately down the line to allow equipment to be "daisy chained."

Meanwhile, the "Local" setting of a keyboard synthesizer determines whether the on-board synthesis hardware should respond to your keystrokes.

I don't see how the two are related. I think that you'll need to flip that "Local" setting routinely: "do you, or do you not, want to 'play' the keyboard's onboard synthesizer?"

@MikeRobinson

IF I use this software, I can in fact leave LOCAL=OFF on my synth the same as if it were going THRU Logic and back out. It is no different than running a midi Patchbay with the Controller Keyboard and coming back into the synth from the midi THRU on the midi Patchbay.

I understand fully what midi thru does from racks of hardware synths and daisy chaining back in the day.

I also know the difference between Local on and local off. If local is off then the synth is disconnected from the physical keyboard and you have to run into a THRU via hardware or software to get back to the synth and play its sounds. Thru works via SOFTWARE these days as well which is the app I linked.

I dont have to mess with local at all on my synth as I can leave it OFF all the time since when in Logic or Cubase or Studio One, THRU is always ON in the DAW and local is OFF on the controller keyboard. This software simply takes the THRU place of Logic, simple

Yes, and please understand – I didn't know what you knew and/or where you were coming from. :)

No worries. I cant tell you how many times I turned on the keyboard just wanting to play and no sound. Then realizing I have Local=OFF

Ideally I would have a digital piano with some speakers to just noodle around on but alas