Kid or Adult?

DJ_Spydaa

• 2 months later...
Guess you're alone, or others are shy.. I think it's great, getting into Logic Pro. There must teens. I was heavily involved in music (starting playing in band when 14) of course there weren't home computers then.. I would have had one, if their were. Logic (or any DAW) can be one of the greatest teachers there is. Playing something, then immediately listening back.. Perhaps other teens are using some of the music making apps on smart phones. Good luck.. Oh and I'm probably your grandfathers age.. ha ha .

• 2 months later...

Most young people already know everything, and if they need to learn something, don’t ask for help on forums. They look on YouTube for ‘how to master perfect tracks using apple earbuds I Fruity Loops, in 20 minutes’ tutorials.

It’s a special type of ‘kid’ that asks for help from more experienced ‘old people’. You’ll go far my friend, and fit right in here (half of us have no idea what we’re doing).

Stick around and you’ll run into some young folk that are here to teach David how it’s done... Or at least some people that are immature enough to pass for children...

Before you know it, you’ll be answering posts and sharing your real knowledge with others. That’s a rewarding moment.

+1. Welcome to the best place on the internet for Logic users!

Why, when I was your age, I recorded by bouncing 2 little tape cassette decks back and forth. It was crap, but fun! Logic is an amazing program, and I wish you the best in your musical journey!

Why, when I was your age, I recorded by bouncing 2 little tape cassette decks back and forth. It was crap, but fun!

I remember seeing an overdub button on my brothers hifi in his bedroom when i was a kid and curiosity lead me to pinch it one night when he was out. I just liked the word 'dub' at the time and thought it was an effect that increased the bass lol.

And, That was the start of things for me. The hours of fun i had with that button and twin decks began a regular occurrence of diving into his bedroom with cables after he'd left the house lol.

Strange thing is, like most kids at the time who had an interest - i never even knew what it was that i was doing, or even how to connect things up - the fun was in learning. There wasn't any resources freely available - But i was determined to find out what this button done lol.

It was only when MIDI sequencers, and early DAWs/MOD Trackers appeared on computer coverdisks that i realised i had built up the basis of recording and a path was opening up to take this to the next level.

Yet, in hindsight i never felt restricted by these early tools that had bare minimum functions - nowadays people have so much more at their disposal but focus on what they 'dont' have, and want someone else to put the leg work in for them (Which i find the most enjoyable aspect) - it's crazy really. But i guess we're much more disposable/want things in an instant as a society now.

I've seen load of young people working with Logic, and as posted here - i think that perhaps they're happy experimenting rather than discussing. Most users here are either terrible procrastinators, have got to the point with music where discussing the technicalities of recording/mixing is equally as enjoyable as the doing, or reached that point in life where they don't have time to throw into the activity themselves so get a similar kick from helping other while topping up their knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...
Why, when I was your age, I recorded by bouncing 2 little tape cassette decks back and forth. It was crap, but fun!

I remember seeing an overdub button on my brothers hifi in his bedroom when i was a kid and curiosity lead me to pinch it one night when he was out. I just liked the word 'dub' at the time and thought it was an effect that increased the bass lol.

And, That was the start of things for me. The hours of fun i had with that button and twin decks began a regular occurrence of diving into his bedroom with cables after he'd left the house lol.

Strange thing is, like most kids at the time who had an interest - i never even knew what it was that i was doing, or even how to connect things up - the fun was in learning. There wasn't any resources freely available - But i was determined to find out what this button done lol.

It was only when MIDI sequencers, and early DAWs/MOD Trackers appeared on computer coverdisks that i realised i had built up the basis of recording and a path was opening up to take this to the next level.

Yet, in hindsight i never felt restricted by these early tools that had bare minimum functions - nowadays people have so much more at their disposal but focus on what they 'dont' have, and want someone else to put the leg work in for them (Which i find the most enjoyable aspect) - it's crazy really. But i guess we're much more disposable/want things in an instant as a society now.

I've seen load of young people working with Logic, and as posted here - i think that perhaps they're happy experimenting rather than discussing. Most users here are either terrible procrastinators, have got to the point with music where discussing the technicalities of recording/mixing is equally as enjoyable as the doing, or reached that point in life where they don't have time to throw into the activity themselves so get a similar kick from helping other while topping up their knowledge.

You had an overdub button?

Luxury....

Well, Debbie Gibson made a top-ten hit when she was in her teens. (She'd been writing operas since age five.) She still holds the "youngest" record, but hey, maybe you could beat her? :)

I think it's safe to say that music is universal and doesn't care how old or young you are. You have in your hands (even if you just use GarageBand, these days!) a top-flight music generation and editing program, with more capabilities than what cost more than $100,000 twenty years ago. So, "whether you are six or sixty," just make music!

Music-making today is a special challenge because you can go so very far, because you can do so much, and because you can publish your music to a world-wide audience. You find yourself "competing with the best of them," and also with the worst. :roll: But, the tools are right there in your hands, waiting for you to learn how to use them ... and then to use them to make pure-magic.

I really think that you learn this stuff mostly by doing it, and so it's a lot like cooking. Sometimes everything goes right, sometimes "it doesn't, and you still get to eat it." But you can "cook up some pretty amazing stuff" right there in your bedroom. All of this used to be quite impossible.

Write song after song after song, and, when you are ready, share one.

Welcome aboard!