Curmudgeonly Complaints - getting too old

rAC

The last couple of months it seems to me less and less people on this forum in the Logic section are bothering to include in their questions the computer they are using; the version of the OS and the logic version. All of which can be so useful in trying to answer their problem.

Maybe I am overreacting but could there be a way to ‘force’ posters to include this information in their signature blocks before their first post is made? I am thinking along the lines that the SOS forums use - no first post until it’s cleared by a moderator.

And while I’m being grumpy - how about giving the odd reminder to all to update their signature block when they upgrade computer, OS or Logic version? I’m sure I’ve read 3-4 topics this week where the questioner is asking about a Logic version issue (eg a problem with 10.4.5) that isn’t the version their signature block specifies (eg 10.3.2).

Anyhow venting over I must say how much I learn from and enjoy this forum, and the attitude of nearly all contributors (ie I’m bringing my bad attitude here not taking out in the Logic section by suggesting that all problems that require guesswork as to what the affected person has byway of computer, OS and Logic version be replied with a ‘open a terminal and type ‘cd \’, press enter then ‘sudo rm -Rf’ and then type your password when it asks for it‘ response).

Anyhow time for my medication .... I’m told I’ll be ready for the blue pills soon.

I hear you.

This is an issue, I'm aware of it, I have been aware of it since almost when I started the forum. Ever since I've tried many various ways to deal with it. One of them was to enforce forum rules and regulations that stated you were obligated to provide that information in your signature. I'm afraid... it just didn't work. Which is why I one day took the decision to go on without rules and regulations. Is it perfect now? No it isn't, far from it. Is it worse now? Honestly I don't believe it is. Is it better? Well, at least in the sense that I spend less time writing, rewriting, reformulating rules, pointing people to read them, getting mad at them for not reading them, having users revolt and scream and shout that they don't need to stinking rules, or simply be perfectly happy to be aware of the rules but deciding in a defiant manner to not abide by them, creating an annoying vibe on the forum, yes that's certainly better. The only (unspoken) rule we now have is, respect. No personal attacks. Well I have another one that is my own personal pet peeve, but that is honestly so obvious to me that it's always challenging to formulate without fearing that it's going to be taken the wrong way, and that is: don't ask multiple unrelated questions in a thread titled "Help me please".

Truth is, for many questions, it doesn't truly matter which exact version of Logic or MacOS you're using. I have always been keen on helping everyone no matter their skill level, and when someone is so new to this world that they need to ask a question on, say, how to load an instrument in Logic, it would certainly prove challenging and time consuming for them to list the amount of RAM or the type of CPU they're using.

So I've decided to make it a little less rule-enforcing, and a little more human friendly, which you're right, means that at time we waste a little time asking for people to put that info in, or update the existing info, or answering the question wrongly because of wrong assumptions. But honestly, all of that was the case back when I had the rule and was enforcing it (or rather trying to, as you can't truly enforce for example that someone keeps their info up to date).

I know that may not sound like a super satisfying answer to your concern, but at least you can rest assured that I am aware of the issue and my non having a rule for it is not sheer laziness but the result of experimenting with various solution and finding (at least currently) that this may be if not the most appropriate, perhaps the least inappropriate.

David that must be the most complete reply to some just ‘having a bitch’ that I’ve ever seen! BTW two glasses of red later reading your reply totally satisfies my complaint. I came to the lounge to let off steam and did so. I must confess to being amazed at the [correct] solutions being provided by numerous people here when the ‘problem’ has never been correctly supplied eg sound import at wrong speed no mention of OS version.

I run multiple machines and software/OS revisions going back to Snow Leopard and LP9, so i've never felt the need to list items and keep a sig up to date, but if i was asking for help i would be specific in the post as to which machine is in question.

Mostly i just hang around here to pick up on new tips and see other people get help and learn/share knowledge that way - very rare do i ask for help as reading these forums makes you very proactive seeing the issues others have so you normally know the answer before you get the problem lol. The shared knowledge here is superb.

I think for anyone specifically signing up to the forum for help it should be encouraged to put their specs somewhere, for sure (As it is!). But you can't really enforce it as people can just take a guess at their specs to get the signup out of the way. Only way is to have pull down boxes when creating a thread that tags in Mac/OS/Logic versions.

As David said above the most valuable part of this forum is the humane element and respecting each other, there's many people out there who aren't comfortable posting on forums and typing out their specs, doesn't mean signup should be made hard to gather their machine setup when the only important info needed is which Logic version.

The biggest problem with specs in the sig is that reading posts 2-3 year in the future the content remains from the posts and replies but you have no reference as to what setup is being discussed as the Sigs will always show current information.

Personally, it doesn't bother me in the slightest if you have to ask someone what machine/spec they're running. But i do like the art of conversing with people.