Logic Pro X 10.5 - David’s book

Go to solution Solved by John_D,

I see Peachpit have a 28 September date for the release of David Nahmani’s book on 10.5. But I also see it’s listed only as a book - no ebook or web edition listed. Please tell me it’s going to have one or the other of those options too.

That’s my birthday .

I suspect that you won’t need Davids book as a present though. Having read many of your posts.

I have been teaching Logic Pro X using David’s books for years. That is changing now because there are no longer “Certified “ courses and I am writing my own book but I will still be buying and recommending David’s new book.

• Like 1

Do we know why Apple did away with the certifications? I was always going to do it, but never got around to it. (Perhaps I just answered my own question).

Speaking as a Certified Trainer, I was not given a reason. I can tell you that when administration was outsourced to LearnQuest,things got rockier.

Yes it seems like over the last few years Apple has had less interest in supporting and/or developping the Apple Certification program, ended up outsourcing it to LearnQuest who didn't truly understand the market (they're used to doing certifications for the IT industry, IBM, Oracle, Red Hat etc... — not so much the creative market). Too expensive, nothing personal at all.

At that time I decided to no longer pursue offering Apple Certification myself, as I felt that was going against what I was trying to teach, which is not only the technology but how to be creative with it.

In the end it looks like Apple also gave up on it altogether. No big loss IMO. It could have been something else... but in the end in a creative market we don't really need certifications.

... It could have been something else... but in the end in a creative market we don't really need certifications.

Exactly why I didn't follow through. At one point I was considering teaching a course, or doing some consulting, but it isn't really my forte. I didn't see being certified helping me in my main gig, so I didn't move forward.

• 1 month later...
  • Solution
I see Peachpit have a 28 September date for the release of David Nahmani’s book on 10.5. But I also see it’s listed only as a book - no ebook or web edition listed. Please tell me it’s going to have one or the other of those options too.

An e-book has now been added to the listing.

• 1 year later...

David, is there an Apple Books version of the book?  I have a sample version in the Apple Books app (the "1/e" version?), but it won't let my buy it within the Books store inside the Books app.   If I right click on the … pop-up near the Buy button and select "View in Store”, it leads eventually to a "no longer available" message Is there a later version I can buy in Apple Books, or am I forced to use Kindle? (not interested in the hard copy.)

Sure I can use low-rent Kindle, but I prefer not to, because I think Kindle is an inferior platform, as they allow people to publish books without a working table of contents with links - so backward in the 21st century.  

My configuration: MacOS 12.3.1, Books v 4.3

Edited by JohnnyHands
low-rent

35 minutes ago, JohnnyHands said:

David, is there an Apple Books version of the book?

Hello Johnny, that's a good question! I'll have to ask my publisher and probably won't hear back until next Monday. Meanwhile there's an eBook version of the new book that's currently 35% off: https://www.peachpit.com/store/logic-pro-apple-pro-training-series-professional-music-9780137904105

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 11:16 PM, David Nahmani said:

Hello Johnny, that's a good question! I'll have to ask my publisher and probably won't hear back until next Monday. Meanwhile there's an eBook version of the new book that's currently 35% off: https://www.peachpit.com/store/logic-pro-apple-pro-training-series-professional-music-9780137904105

I'm considering taking an online class with the your 2020 Logic 10.5 book listed as the text.  After comparing the table of contents for both, your new 2022 book, "Logic Pro - Apple Pro Training Series: Professional Music Production" seems like an update of that book with a couple of new sections covering newer development (Dolby Atmos, and the Skills Review section, specifically.)  

Is there any reason you can think of - for a latest-10.7 Logic user - that the newer book couldn't be used for a Logic 10.5 book-based class (is the downloadable content the same?)  

If the newer one seems it can be used, I will notify the people that the new book is available (and perhaps wait for official OK before purchasing), but I thought I'd ask you first before making a push for the newer book.

Bottom line: I'd rather purchase the more current book than the older one.

Also, neither book is available in English on Apple Books as of a check today (based on a check for your author name, only some old German-language Logic Pro books of yours are available.)

Edited by JohnnyHands
old German language versions
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, JohnnyHands said:

your new 2022 book, "Logic Pro - Apple Pro Training Series: Professional Music Production" seems like an update of that book with a couple of new sections covering newer development (Dolby Atmos, and the Skills Review section, specifically.)

Yes, indeed, that is exactly what it is. All the screenshots have been updated to look more like the new 10.7 interface, and a new lesson on mixing in Dolby Atmos was added. There's also a new "Skill Review" section with 50 Q & A to review the material learned throughout the exercices in the entire book. 

There's no reason the 10.7 book couldn't be used. The downloadable content is the same plus a new Logic file for the Dolby Atmos lesson. Even if the teacher is using the 10.5 book, you'll be able to follow along with the new book, you'll just have extra material. 

I checked and you're right, the book isn't available in Apple Books. I will reach out to the publisher again. I'm not sure why it's such a challenge for them to list my new book there. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...