Selling music online

I'd start by saying that you must align yourself with some "performing rights organization (PRO)." In the United States, these would be BMI, ASCAP, or SESAC. These are the companies who will ferret-out every possible use of your creative work, anywhere in the world, and make sure that you are actually paid for it.

Also, I would frankly emphasize that "this is a volume business." You need to constantly strive to produce as many "properties" as you can – to make your "catalog" as big and as diverse as you can. Even though "hits" might be the most-prominent things, even the most ignominious property can be a source of steady money. "Happy Birth-Day To You ..."

• 2 weeks later...

Of course I could not possibly anticipate the professional situation in Croatia, but maybe the most important thing to always do is to "beef up your catalog."

In the end, "Sears & Roebuck Company" succeeded – alas, these days are now gone – when you could find absolutely anything that you could possibly want, somewhere in their catalog. (Literally ...) "From tombstones to complete houses."

Oil producers have learned the same lesson: it's far better to have a stable of a few hundred wells, most of which can be relied upon to produce a small amount of oil every day, than to gamble your future on the dream of "re-creating Teapot Dome."

Maybe the most important aspect of today's market is that it really costs you very little to produce another commercial product – whether it is similar to the last one you made or not – and to introduce it to a world-wide market. In such a market, having little or no "barriers to entry" now, volume (of the highest-possible quality product that you can now manage ... with all the diversity that you can manage ...) is essential. "It's a numbers game, not a number-one game."

Also: "even though you are in Croatia and I am half-a-planet away," any PRO worth its salt should be able to ensure that you will get paid, if I play your tune. What amazing times we now live in!