A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

bebenavole
Topic Author

Selling music online

Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:37 am

Anyone here does that?
Make a living?
Which platforms do you use?
Pros & cons?
Thank you
Best
Adam
www.myspace.com/bebenavole
www.youtube.com/bebenavole
-------------------------------
MacBook Pro 2.2
Logic 8 - 8.0.2
Focusrite Saffire
Edirol PCR-M30
ZOOM H2

MikeRobinson

Re: Selling music online

Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:41 pm

I'd start by saying that you must align yourself with some "performing rights organization (PRO)." In the United States, these would be BMI, ASCAP, or SESAC. These are the companies who will ferret-out every possible use of your creative work, anywhere in the world, and make sure that you are actually paid for it.

Also, I would frankly emphasize that "this is a volume business." You need to constantly strive to produce as many "properties" as you can – to make your "catalog" as big and as diverse as you can. Even though "hits" might be the most-prominent things, even the most ignominious property can be a source of steady money. "Happy Birth-Day To You ..."
Mike Robinson
"I wanna quit being a computer consultant and become a composer and arranger at age fifty-nevermind."
Logic Pro X, MacBook Pro, 88-key MIDI controller.
Just south of Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA

bebenavole
Topic Author

Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:51 am

I am a long time member of a performing rights organisation here in Croatia. Dont know if that counts.
Which platforms would you recommend ?
thanks
www.myspace.com/bebenavole

www.youtube.com/bebenavole

-------------------------------

MacBook Pro 2.2

Logic 8 - 8.0.2

Focusrite Saffire

Edirol PCR-M30

ZOOM H2

MikeRobinson

Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:46 pm

Of course I could not possibly anticipate the professional situation in Croatia, but maybe the most important thing to always do is to "beef up your catalog."

In the end, "Sears & Roebuck Company" succeeded – alas, these days are now gone – when you could find absolutely anything that you could possibly want, somewhere in their catalog. (Literally ...) "From tombstones to complete houses."

Oil producers have learned the same lesson: it's far better to have a stable of a few hundred wells, most of which can be relied upon to produce a small amount of oil every day, than to gamble your future on the dream of "re-creating Teapot Dome."

Maybe the most important aspect of today's market is that it really costs you very little to produce another commercial product – whether it is similar to the last one you made or not – and to introduce it to a world-wide market. In such a market, having little or no "barriers to entry" now, volume (of the highest-possible quality product that you can now manage ... with all the diversity that you can manage ...) is essential. "It's a numbers game, not a number-one game."

Also: "even though you are in Croatia and I am half-a-planet away," any PRO worth its salt should be able to ensure that you will get paid, if I play your tune. What amazing times we now live in!
Mike Robinson
"I wanna quit being a computer consultant and become a composer and arranger at age fifty-nevermind."
Logic Pro X, MacBook Pro, 88-key MIDI controller.
Just south of Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA