"Free / Empty" Shortcuts / Hotkeys

Rambird

Ok I hope im in the right part of the forum otherwise maybe sb can move it but I didn't know where else to start this conversation. This is very hard to google since you'll always be overwhelmed which these "10 best hotkeys to speed up your workflow" kind of posts - Sorry for the long foreplay.

What are your favorite "free" shortcuts (which I now define as shortcuts that aren't being used by logic pro x by default) that are easy to reach. If you want to go even further - what do you map these shortcuts to? Im still looking for empty ones to map some functions to so I thought I just try it here first!

Key commands are a very personal matter and every workflow is highly individual. You might prefer to use a key command to zoom while others won't, you might need C for Colored Cables in the Environment while others would want C for Col Legno in the Score Editor. Besides, I'm using Logic for so long, I have no idea which key commands are unassigned by default and also I have mapped them to my liking.

Having said that, my most used key commands are

- Play, Stop, Record, FF, REW

- Play From Selection

- Select All

- Delete

- Mute Region/Event

- Solo Region/Event

- Select All Following

- Select All Following on Same Track

- Nudge Event forward/backward 1 frame

- Transpose Note 1 step up/down

- Add 10ms to FadeIn

- Add 10ms to FadeOut

- Increase Region Gain by 3dB

- Decrease Region Gain by 3dB

- Lock/Unlock SMPTE Position

- Lock/Unlock Screen Set

Yeah dude I know and not everybody needs the same set of features. But I am not asking for specific hotkeys, I am asking for unassigned keys on the actualy keyboard that can be filled with whatever hotkey. I just thought maybe some ppl already looked for the best and easiest which aren't assigned. Still thanks for the reply - also interesting that you have a 10ms fade in / out on a shortcut really interesting I might give that a shot

edit: am I assuming correctly that you are using some sort of custom scrips for the 10ms fade and 3db region gain shortcuts?

I see. It didn't occur to me that you're looking for unused keys, because (with one exception) I see absolutely no point in keeping keys occupated by key commands I never use.

So the first action would be to go through all assigned key commands (click the Used button at the top of the KC window) and kick out all that I don't need. Then assign the ones that I do need to the keys that make the most sense to me. Then, as my wolkflows evolve and branch out, add the KCs that start getting more use one by one.

Yes, Region Gain and Fades are Applescripts triggered by Keyboard Maestro, discussed in depth elsewhere on this forum.

Now the exception I mentioned above is if you need to frequently tell people the default KCs, like David does...