Anywhere I can sell software other than eBay?

JMLZ

I'm thinking of selling a licence for a DAW I very seldom use these days, and since it's a fairly expensive one I could do with that extra cash, but I don't seem to find anywhere allowing software licence transfers other than on the dregs of the Internet, aka eBay, or some forums where you need to have a minimum number of posts, which I do not.

Any ideas?

Reverb don't allow it, as I was selling an old Cubase license a while back, and they cancelled my listing.

Ended up going through eBay, sold it, and after a week the buyer claimed they didn't recognise the transaction and their card issuer called back the payment with eBay.

eBay then sided with the buyer/bowed to the card issuer, took the funds away from me AND charged me £14 fee. Couldn't believe it, went into their chat support and asked them to explain what I had done wrong and they couldn't tell me, just that the decision was 'final'.

Luckily, with Steinberg you can recall the license back if you hold the registration of the dongle, and as the buyer never contacted me upon receiving it i had never transferred to them. Lost the USB dongle, but pulled the license back onto a new one.

I Was going to sell some more expensive stuff on eBay next month, but going to list them locally now. Seems that since eBay moved to their own managed payments scheme buyers are really at the mercy of scammers - when you google for similar scenarios it's very common.

I'd be tempted to use gearspace or soundonsound readers ads in future. Although soundonsound may be UK only, and think Gearspace needs you at a certain trust level.

What license is it? Maybe list it on a forum for that product? I see a lot of people sell like that on Reddit with good success, as at least you can see how genuine the buyer is by their public posts and time active as a member.

I did have a similar experience selling on eBay in the past, on that occasion with a hardware synth, so not taking my chances again.

The official forum for the DAW used to have a marketplace section but have been closed for ages.

Not a Reddit user myself. I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 3 weeks later...

www.knobcloud.com!

This site is pretty sweet, I’ve used it a handful of times to both sell and buy, most recently today in fact lol (don’t wanna sound spammy but got a program I’ve wanted for $50 less than my available upgrade price).

The site basically lets you sell your licenses for vetted developers who allow license transfers. The payment is done via users personal PayPal accounts, so there is that element of risk I suppose, but again I’ve sold 5-ish titles and bought maybe 3-4 titles and have had no problems whatsoever. also the site makes you link your PayPal account to your KnobCloud account, so there’s that extra layer of protection for what it’s worth.