Have you Taken Your Logic "Stupid Pill" Today?

ski

• 2 months later...

Just had another Logic Stupid Pill moment, and I thought I'd share...

I just bought the xils 3le plugin online. Couldn't wait to try it out and make sure it would work with both Logic 8 and Logic 9. So I eagerly opened it up in Logic 8 first and it worked like a charm. Quit L8, launch L9, load it up.

And.....

No sound...

Zilch...

Problem with Logic 9? Highly doubtful.

So what's going on?!?!?!?!!?

Now this plugin, based on the VCS synth, has a patch point matrix, and if you want to hear an oscillator you have to patch it into the filter using the matrix. So I'm patching away, patching, patching, and still no sound. Now I know it's a new synth in my arsenal, but I know synths... For the most part, all analog synths have the same architecture, so I should be able to figure it out. Right?

:shock:

OK, well, still no sound from the usual patching-of-oscillator-into-filter, so I decide to patch the oscillator directly into the synth's output (you can do that on this beastie). I was sooooooooooo sure that this was going to work.

Nope.

And then it hit me...

In my eagerness to try it out in Logic 9, instead of instanciating the AU instrument I loaded up the AU MIDI-Controlled Effects version. And you guessed it, it don't output no soundz unless you have an external signal coming into it.

:?

GAH!

too eager = no sound

I'll have to remember that next time... LOL!

Hmm... stupid pills... I think someone keeps putting them in my food.

Music-related:

In Awdeo-skuul, we had a project (that's currently up on my website's demo reel) where we recorded one of our teachers playing quite a complicated piece. The point of the project was to take many different takes, all with different errors (the guy was out of practice, so no playthrough was 100%) and edit them all together to get one flawless performance. We were also supposed to use mid-side mic'ing.

I set the first mic up, and then I set the figure-8 mic up, and thought I got everything.

When everything was said and done, we ended up with a mono-track because I had totally forgotten to arm the figure-8 mic's track to record.

I've also done the "why the hell can't I hear my guitar in Logic?" only to find out that, for some reason, it was plugged into something ridiculous, like the headphone jack. What the hell?!

Music-aside... my girlfriend will ask me to go get something for her, and I'll end up getting something totally different, or maybe 25% of the items she requested of me. Yesterday, she asked me to check for mail as I left the house for work(we have a group of mailboxes that's on the way into the neighbourhood). When I opened the door, there was snow, and my brain kind of did a "Dog-character-from-UP" sort of thing. All attention was diverted to the snow, and I totally forgot to check for the mail until she emailed me later asking what was in the mailbox.

*sad trumpet*

The worst is when I'll go get cereal, a bowl, spoon, milk... successfully combine all of the elements...

... just to put the milk in the cupboard and the cereal back in the fridge.

Confuses the hell out of me later on.

• 2 weeks later...
:lol:

Like that day when I just couldn't get any sound out of my bass.

Track rec-armed? Check.

Correct input? Check.

Core Audio driver enabled? Check.

Restart Audio driver? Check.

Gain up on the instrument preamp? Check.

Volume knob up on the bass? Check.

Hmmmmm.......let's restart Logic. Nothing. Hmmmmm.... restart the computer? Nothing. GGRrrrrrrrr..... trash preferences? Nothing....

Finally I got up, took the cable that was going out of the bass and followed the cable to the other end....... where it was... hum... plugged... hum... dare I say it? Into my electric guitar. :oops: :mrgreen:

Har - Har! Isn't that supposed to give your Bass more high end? LOL!

:lol:

Yep I've done that too, way too many cables laying around. The other day I couldn't get audio to my monitors, was going into Logic as the levels were moving, all my faders were up on the control surface, but there are only 8 fader channels and I was using input 12, I hadn't switched to the second bank on my controller and the fader was zeroed, I spent 45 minutes before I figured this out, even with the bright orange light on the controller telling me I was in the wrong bank!

it aint proper cul-cha unless its got oboes and pompous british accents

you have really missed out

Ya, there is a ton of stuff from across the Atlantic that I like...some Jane Austen. I just had an allergic reaction to Pride and Prejudice...

... though in my defence,

I have a house full of gurls, and their friends. They get a particular glint in their eye about a movie, accompanied with a gleeful "it's complicated". The house will fill up with meaningful movies, which they will watch in tandem, forever. They had that look with Pride and Prejudice.

Let down my guard and I may never see a boob, a car chase, or an explosion, ever again.

That's not acceptable.

• 3 years later...

Hi all! Thought it might be fun to start a thread where we share 'derp' moments with our macs–

I just went on a frantic search for multiple 1/8" audio cables, as I was only getting output from my right speaker. I thought my Macbook audio jack was broken (which wouldn't have been a problem in the 'studio' as I use an external sound card).

Turns out I had somehow panned my audio entirely to the right in global audio settings. Derp!

I found my cell phone in the fridge this morning.

:shock: :shock:

:lol: mwahahahahahah.... nearly spat my tea out into the headphones I was accidentally using as an ahstray!

I don't know if this is apocryphal or not but the story goes... Van Morrison walks into the studio one morning, sits down at the piano and plays a tune. He then wanders into the control room, where the Tape Op, the only person in there, is sweeping the floor and says "play that back to me"

I will leave to your imagination the chaos that is said to have ensued.

• 4 months later...

Not Logic related but - 2 dumb things...

1. I remember once standing at my front door and I couldn't figure out why it would not open. That's when I realized it was because I was using my Car Door clicker and not my house keys haha.

2. Back in the 80's I finished laying down an Acoustic Piano Track and I took my headphones off and set them on the piano bench next to me. I heard the Engineer say something to me over talkback and like an idiot I picked up the headphones and held them up to my mouth and said OK like it was a mic or a walkie talkie. The rest of the day everyone would answer me by picking up a coffee cup or whatever was handy just to punk me. :oops:

2. Back in the 80's I finished laying down an Acoustic Piano Track and I took my headphones off and set them on the piano bench next to me. I heard the Engineer say something to me over talkback and like an idiot I picked up the headphones and held them up to my mouth and said OK like it was a mic or a walkie talkie. The rest of the day everyone would answer me by picking up a coffee cup or whatever was handy just to punk me. :oops:

Hahaha I loved that story. My kid always tries to talk into the baby monitor, even though I insist on explaining it's just a speaker. :lol:

• 6 years later...

Well, it's not Logic Pro, but just as stupid. One winter, to have something to do, I built a little 5 watt tube amp kit. Easy as pie. When I got done, I spent about 30 minutes going over the diagram and my wiring to be sure I didn't make a mistake. It all checked out. Moment of truth. Plugged a speaker and guitar in, flipped the power switch....nothing...no lights, no anything except my sinking heart. Quickly turn it off. Flip it over, triple check the wiring and component orientation. Still looked ok. Try again. Nothing. . It was then that I noticed it wasn't plugged into the wall socket. DoH!

In the end it sounded great.

• 11 months later...

Ah well, after reading this, I don't feel like it's 'END-TIMES' for my brain. :lol:

Worst thing, I think, I ever did was plug a guitar into the audio interface, while the other end was plugged into my VOX, lol.

But then there was that little input monitoring thing that caught me out twice in a couple of weeks. I'm much better now. :roll:

• 1 year later...

I recorded a bunch of acoustic guitar tracks in a single day last year for an album in the works. I double tracked the guitars, as I generally do. Only last week, while mixing one of the songs, did I discover that  - for that song in particular - I didn't actually double track the guitar. I'd copy/pasted the same file into a second track. Without realizing that, I'd been treating the "two" guitars as a stereo pair, hard panned and each with separate EQ settings etc. My ears never noted that it was a mono guitar I was hearing. My eyes musta been doing the listening, and clearly, I need better glasses!

• Haha 1
  • Wow! 1

I'm more embarrassed by this, but regarding the same track, upon the suggestion of the bassist, and occasional co-producer of mine, I pulled the lead vocal down a little bit to make it sit just right. I was convinced that was the perfect move and that it indeed improved things. Next day, I was looking at the song in Logic and noted the vocal level hadn't been moved at all. Turns out I'd automated one tiny spot to catch a stray "s," and the automation meant that my "manual" fader move to pull down the track didn't take. I was convinced, though, that the vocal was softer. This happened the same time I discovered that my double-tracked guitars (above, in my prev post) were mono. Ugh!!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, grumblepig said:

I pulled the lead vocal down a little bit to make it sit just right. I was convinced that was the perfect move and that it indeed improved things. Next day, I was looking at the song in Logic and noted the vocal level hadn't been moved at all.

Honestly, that's a classic. Anyone who's produced music has gone through that one I believe. I knew a producer who, when told by the client to, for example, raise the guitars a bit, would reach for a fader and raise it a bit, asking the client: "is that good enough", and invariably the client would say "yes, great, now it's better" when that fader wasn't doing anything at all. Some clients would go as far as stopping him while he was raising the fader and saying "ooooh that was a little too much, now bring it back down a tad". 

😄

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as this old post still has some life in it I might as well add my own moment of embarrassment.

I was getting ready to add the final adjustments to a piece I had been working on for some time. I had previously thrown down some rough Eq settings that got me in right ball park and now I was going to fine tune the Eq to get everything just right.

So, bit of a cut here, slight boost there, that sort of thing. Then when I had everything just right I saw it...

The Eq had been on bypass the whole time. The truly frightening thing is that I *heard* the changes. It really emphasised to me the truth of the saying 'mix with your ears not your eyes'. I reckon that looking at the values changing on screen must've overridden what I was hearing with my ears. 

Alan.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2023 at 1:31 AM, Alan Shields said:

The truly frightening thing is that I *heard* the changes.

This is really a classic that has happened to many a professional. Classic DFA fader that the aforementioned AES white paper was based on (not sure if you saw it? Two posts before yours). 

• Like 1