Have you Taken Your Logic "Stupid Pill" Today?

ski

Every once in a while --- a very RARE while, mind you (ahem, ahem, cough, cough, sputter) --- I find myself getting aggravated at Logic because of something or other, only to find out that the fault was all mine, pilot error, a I-took-a-stoopid-pill kinda moment. So share your Logic stoopid moments here in this thread!

Here's mine from today:

I selected a piccolo track and did some tweaking in the piano roll. Then I opened up a cymbal region in a separate piano roll window (which filled the screen) so I could see what was going on with it. Then I wanted to hear the sound so I played the keyboard down in the lower octave (where the cymbals were mapped) and there was no sound! Like, WTF? I was gettin' miffed, big time. Then for the helluvit I played up in the high register of the keyboard and heard piccolos! Silly me, I only selected and opened the cymbal region. I never actually selected the track.

And the moral of the story? Just because your eyeballs are making contact with the display of a region's contents isn't quite enough to cause the track to become selected.

Hey, maybe I'll put that in as a feature request!

:mrgreen:

• Haha 3

:lol:

Like that day when I just couldn't get any sound out of my bass.

• Track rec-armed? Check.
  • Correct input? Check.
  • Core Audio driver enabled? Check.
  • Restart Audio driver? Check.
  • Gain up on the instrument preamp? Check.
  • Volume knob up on the bass? Check.

Hmmmmm.......let's restart Logic. Nothing. Hmmmmm.... restart the computer? Nothing. GGRrrrrrrrr..... trash preferences? Nothing....

Finally I got up, took the cable that was going out of the bass and followed the cable to the other end....... where it was... hum... plugged... hum... dare I say it? Into my electric guitar. :oops: :mrgreen:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That kind of thing NEVER happens too me as I am far too intelligent. :roll:

What is REALLY embarrassing for me is when as a consultant I go to some more successful composer's studio to help and I do something stupid like the following:

I brought some templates over to a well-known TV/Film composer's studio to set up Plogue Bidule for him and although we could see sound level, we could not get to hear it back in Logic, no matter what I tried.

He emailed me the next day and said, "I figured out the problem. There is an On button in the Plogue Bidule GUI that you have to click."

An ON button, sod a dog! Man, did I feel like an idiot.

Like that day when I just couldn't get any ...blah, blah, blah...

Finally I got up, took the cable that was going out of the bass and followed the cable to the other end....... where it was... hum... plugged... hum... dare I say it? Into my electric guitar. :oops: :mrgreen:

Check back in 9 months to see if a little mandolin suddenly appeared. :mrgreen:

Oh, so many to choose from..... do I take the red stoopid pill or the blue one?

Scenario: "I can hear the musician - why the hell isn't Logic showing me any level??" (Note default Logic blaming mechanism hard at work!)

A client will come in to redo an individual part in a project that was originally multitracked. My default input on my RME for solo tracking sessions is always input 1 but if I assign them the same Logic track they had before I may miss the fact that it's set to input 5 from the original session. I can see the pre-amp lighting up and sound is coming through the monitors, but nothing is hitting the track?? :oops: I don't do that one much anymore.

Like that day when I just couldn't get any sound out of my bass.

Track rec-armed? Check.

Correct input? Check.

Core Audio driver enabled? Check.

Restart Audio driver? Check.

Gain up on the instrument preamp? Check.

Volume knob up on the bass? Check.

Hmmmmm.......let's restart Logic. Nothing. Hmmmmm.... restart the computer? Nothing. GGRrrrrrrrr..... trash preferences? Nothing....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I swear to God I've done that exact same thing. :lol: :lol:

That kind of thing NEVER happens too me as I am far too intelligent. :roll:

What is REALLY embarrassing for me is when as a consultant I go to some more successful composer's studio to help and I do something stupid like the following:

I brought some templates over to a well-known TV/Film composer's studio to set up Plogue Bidule for him and although we could see sound level, we could not get to hear it back in Logic, no matter what I tried.

He emailed me the next day and said, "I figured out the problem. There is an On button in the Plogue Bidule GUI that you have to click."

An ON button, sod a dog! Man, did I feel like an idiot.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There was a famous producer - can't remember the name - who said: if you're working in a studio, the musicians are playing and you're not recording, you have no business working in a studio in the first place.

Little harsh, but I totally understand his point!

Now of course, that brings up another question: If you're working in a studio, the musicians are playing, you're recording, but the bass is plugged into the guitar, shoud you even consider a career working in studios? :oops: :shock: :mrgreen:

Now of course, that brings up another question: If you're working in a studio, the musicians are playing, you're recording, but the bass is plugged into the guitar, shoud you even consider a career working in studios? :oops: :shock: :mrgreen:

That depends, are the Bass player and the guitarist in love?

My actual stoopid x2:

Started the kettle to make a cup of coffee and realized i could do "that" to create an effect on one of the tracks I was working on. Back to the studio.

20 minutes later, the kettle had boiled dry, the handle had melted, and the kitchen was filled with that horrible smoke that comes from burning plastic.

About 3 weeks later, did it again. Retribution was quick, and without mercy. The next day, Pure Evil, masquerading as my wife, talked me into watching "Pride and Prejudice" with her. There aren't words to describe...

My actual stoopid x2:

Started the kettle to make a cup of coffee and realized i could do "that" to create an effect on one of the tracks I was working on. Back to the studio.

20 minutes later, the kettle had boiled dry, the handle had melted, and the kitchen was filled with that horrible smoke that comes from burning plastic.

About 3 weeks later, did it again. Retribution was quick, and without mercy. The next day, Pure Evil, masquerading as my wife, talked me into watching "Pride and Prejudice" with her. There aren't words to describe...

I love Jane Austen.

My actual stoopid x2:

Buy her this book instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-Zombies-Classic-Ultraviolent/dp/1594743347

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Eric Cardenas

That kettle story reminds me of a time I had this beautiful harp player rooming with me. We were jamming one night in the livingroom and it seemed like one thing could lead to another. I had put the kettle on and forgot all about it because I was too busy dropping hints in the livingroom. Then the smell hit us.

Melted kettle all over the burner. Big mood killer. :roll:

My wife and I have a policy. If a movie has British Accents and Oboes, I'm automatically excused.

"I say, Mr Gross. One's riding breeches are simply magnificent, old boy.

Does one hang out with one's chums at the jolly old motorcycle café

in the evenings, or are they merely worn around the house to impress

one's gardener ... ? Damn fine wheeze, what ? More port, Mr Gross,

or are you about to do something unspeakable with that oboe ...... ?"

-

pH

Hi everybody,

yesterday I stumbled upon this thread and had a good laugh, thinking:

jeez, luckily I haven't yet witnessed someone playing at my studio without recording it....time went on....since about a week I am finetuning arrangements

for a musical I'm writing the music for.

Since wednesday I thaught something was either wrong with Logic, my ears,

my monitors or the way they are placed (my monitors, not the ears luckily)= it seemed that everytime I auditioned or worked on a piece of music, the

stereo image seemed relatively narrow, quite strongly centered, I thaught

hey the mix is in two weeks, I'll pan/spread everything correctly when it's time......

until yesterday evening where I nearly got bonkers=

I was working on a short interlude where horrible sounding birds fly over a city,

the hero powers on a special machine (frequency sweep) that challenges the birds to sing even higher, then he turns up a bit, then they get higher etc... until their vocal cords explode.

So, to make the scene realistic where at the end the birds' cords explode are left, right, near left, far right etc... I duplicated a snapping sound across multiple tracks, and panned accordingly......

Strangely, when auditioning, everything sounded in the middle.

Are the files ok image wise? check

Thaught the "caf" files which sometimes are a piece of work might do something

wrong, bounced the samples to AIFF, then to mono....still the same

Isn't there a mono bus I'm sending them to? check

Is there any plugin in Logic that might do something like that? check

Is my master bus stereo? check

After all, maybe the sample sucks in some way= inserted destroyfx monomaker

on each track with a snapping sound, then panned= still in the middle...

and when I panned it left it sounded louder, when panned right no sound...

Maybe I've eaten/drunk something way past consuming date....

Is there a reverb plugin that I should duplicate times the number of tracks and pan accordingly each channel? check

Wait a second, even my Soundtoys stereo and pingpongdelays sound centered,

jeeeez....

Continued tweaking for half an hour, re-reading parts of the manual,

restarting Logic, restarting the computer, nothing.......

With opening other sessions= horrible truth= everything is in the middle!!,

aaarrgghhhhhhh!!!! make this bad dream go over

Then, today at noon, I was listening again to previously stereo-sounding bounced material....

no way= still everything in the middle, my audio world got pure mono!

Then, for no particular reason my eyes looked to the right at my Presonus Central Station.......words can't describe the awkward shame I was experiencing....I finished a mix last week

and after it was done, engaged the mono switch on the Presonus to check for compatibility......

I LISTENED AND WORKED MONO FOR A WEEK SINCE THEN.....luckily I didn't have to mix...and even more luckily there is nothing wrong with my system

Now, I know for sure all my songs are mono-compatible....

Best

Saxophonick