APHEX TWIN

That's a good question. I could never find much info around about Aphex Twins, who I love too. ChrisE, do you remember where you read or heard about them using Logic? I've heard they were using FruityLoops, but I don't know how seriously I should take everything I hear on the web :D

I hope you guys don't mind, I'm moving this thread to the Ideas forum!

Yeah Squarepusher is probably what has impressed me the most so far, as far as crazy programation. I like some of the stuff BT has done, and believe it or not I think what I like the most is what he's done with N'Sync. But Squarepusher is not only impressive, it's also... good..in an artistic way.

Anyway, I'm interested in getting that Aphex Twins album. Thanks for the suggestion!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

kirkeeb,

Have been working with sound design equipment for quite some time and can take a rough guess at what the Twin uses for his sound scape material.

I know for a fact (as he has given lectures on using it) that he uses Max/MSP. This a rather cheap and easy to use computer language/programme that allows its users to build up a rather impressive collection of sound patches that work via MIDI. Max is basically the MIDI operating system and provides the template for writing random note sequences, rhythmic note divisions, and other impressive sounding sound aphex. This can then be used to control a MIDI instrument, such as sampler, that then playes the sound. Or it can be used to control MSP, another programme that allows the user to develop and write patches that play beats (with FX that change over time), build synthesisers and even perform spectral shifting of formats in a sound. Basically, your imagination is the limiting factor with this little programme.

I have be using it for several years now, and am only becoming vaguely more fluent at using it. It does require a certain level of effort to learn, and certainly wouldn't suite the 'preset junkie'. However, bearing all this in mind, the sounds I have got from using it are well worth the effort so far... There are also several websites where people share their patches and ideas with eachother. This is probably the best way of learning it...

Check this link: http://www.cycling74.com/products/maxmsp.html

The other, slightly more expenisive but very powerful tool (it can perform fourier analysis of sounds and morph different texture together), is Kyma. This again is software based, but uses a hardware device for it's complex algorhythmic computations... I managed to buy a second hand one and have morphed everything from kick drums and rubber tyre hits, to wind sounds and vocals.

This website link takes you to the boys and gals behind this creation: http://www.symbolicsound.com/cgi-bin/bin/view/Company/WebHome

Kyma is used by Autechre (who you'll probably like as much as the Twin if you haven't heard before). I agree with you on Squarepusher. Great programming skills, but the groove is lost in the mentalism that can ensue... Although he rocked at Glastonbury this year...

Excuse the long reply. I don't great much of chance to log onto the net. Hope it helps...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey youse guys... you chopped up this thread REAL GOOD...

Who is B.T.? Huh? Wha??? spill it! ...please? & thanx...

Meanwhile, yeah... Squarepusher's Get Plastic is very coool especially the single"My Red Hot Car" David thanx for the pointer.. aphex twins mellower Selected Ambient Works 85-92 is pretty tasty i think...sabrossa?... your mileage may vary :)

Whoa hold the phone... if BT is the gentleman who did the soundtrack for "Monster" and if you haven't seen it yet, then take a look at the very spinal tap-like "Extras" Interviews on the Monster DVD with director Patty Jenkins and the composer... she is like all over the dude...completely smitten with him while he rambles on about how much he digs the rock band "Journey"

:shock: Seriously!

YES! Monster is great,yes. It's incredible the sympathy Charlize Theron squeezes out of her role especially when compared with actual Aileen Wournos documentary & interviews.Too bad the women I usually end up getting involved with are more like Aileen than Charlize... Christina Ricci is amazing too what an evil character and what a dynamic between them.

BTW, some APHEX TWIN videos are in the sidebar of that link to the iFilm site Come To Daddy is a freaking great video isn't it? WOW! Windowlicker or something like that is there too but i haven't looked at it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

8) cocktails... now I can finally provide somthing on this forum.I am an alcohol technician by night. David you should get into long beach iced tea's.

1/2 sht. vodka 1/2 sht. rum 1/2 sht. gin 1/2 sht. tequila (dont cringe) 1/2 sht.tripple sec splash of sour mix top with cranberry juice and whaloh!Party in glass.