Getting the right guitar tone? (distorted, hard rock)

LoFi

Hey guys.

I'm wondering: I have to track those guitars for a project. The sound is modern rock, borderline hard rock, and the client wants "big guitars".

He has a Gibson and a Marshall with a 4x12. We'll be tracking several tracks of guitars.

Do you have any tips? I own two mics, a SM58 and a Rode NTK (tube). I also have a POD Pro.

I'm looking for advice/ideas on mic placement, amp settings, but also panning, and fx on the guitar tracks for mixing?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi LoFi ! Long time no hear from ...............

I got this tip years ago from Martin Birch (ex Iron Maiden engineer) :

Set up your Marshall in the corner of the room.

Get two 8' x 4' sheets of chipboard or MDF and stand them on edge, making a kind of "horn" channel opening out away from the amp, with the wide end about 4-5 feet wide.

Mic up your SM58 about 2 feet in from the end of this "horn" and about a foot off the centre line of the amp speaker(s).

The resulting sound is f$@%ing awesome.

8)

Wow, I kind of use that exact same set up. I have two 4'x8' frames made of 2"x4"'s with carpet underliner on them. Then have moving van rugs (the thick ones) hanging from my low ceiling to the floor completely surrounding the cabinet-Marshall straight 4x12. Along with my KranK head the sound is MEAN!!!!! I use a Rode NT1 mic

COOL. Thanks a lot for the tip guys, I will definitely try that. I like the sample of GORILLA a lot, exactly the kind of tone I am after. I think I'm going to make maybe 4 layers of guitars, all panned differently throughout the stereo image...

Hopefully I can achieve the sound I'm after!