Logic Pro on 30 Rock NBC

SONiC

Characters Pete & the writer with the Glasses and Hat (can't remember his name) decided to start a band. They wrote and recorded a song. Hat guy was playing it back for Pete on his laptop with Logic Pro. Pete was pissed cuz his vocals were mixed way too low, pretty funny.

My wife finds it funny every time when I point out some controllers or software as props used in a completely wrong context. She's quite tech savvy, but rarely would even think about something being in the wrong place in a movie, she doesn't watch them like us nerds do... ;) Also, I know I'm silly, but I can't help but point out when there's a live band on TV with my beloved Korg Triton or JP8000 etc piece of gear I have.

I always pretty much roll on the floor when CSI people clean up unintelligible noise to almost 24bit/192k crystal clear voice etc... Or grab crappy security cam footage from an old gas station system and zoom in to like "I recognize those freckles" accuracy from 100 feet away in low light... CASE SOLVED! :D

On a similar (but not congruent) note, it's always amused/irked me when on-screen musicians aren't really selling it. I mean, obviously they wouldn't be playing during filming, lest the boom guy takes him out with the mic, but when they find arbitrary extra/bit-part actor to play musician, and you can see his fingers not hitting the keys right, or he's puffing his cheeks out on the trumpet… just pulls me right out of the story.

Well, what gets me every time is that you see a regular Mac (or heaven forbid, a Dell or Sony) with the logo covered and the UI is something ridiculously different from any real OS UI. I've never understood why that is done. Like why won't they use OS X as is? Is that just the coolness factor, or is there some copyright issues or what? (Can't be, I've seen regular OS UIs, too)

To lookatthisguy: I definitely feel you there! ...but being an electronic musician with limited live playing skills I have to give them half a break, so my conscious is clear... ;)

Well, what gets me every time is that you see a regular Mac (or heaven forbid, a Dell or Sony) with the logo covered and the UI is something ridiculously different from any real OS UI. I've never understood why that is done. Like why won't they use OS X as is? Is that just the coolness factor, or is there some copyright issues or what? (Can't be, I've seen regular OS UIs, too)

To lookatthisguy: I definitely feel you there! ...but being an electronic musician with limited live playing skills I have to give them half a break, so my conscious is clear... ;)

It is entirely possible it's a licensing issue, though I'd think that being the underdog, Apple would have few qualms showing the UI onscreen (though I remember late in its run, Ford made a point that "24" should no longer use their vehicles for the bad guys, if the producers didn't want them to pull out of the show, as they thought it gave them a negative image or whatever). On the other hand, it's possible the powers that be want a specific vibe/look for their computer displays that would be hard to make work while still "showcasing" the UI… easier just to have a graphic that gets the job done than balancing widget A on top of widget B.

What's worse is seeing Microsoft (DBA Windows) sponsoring programs, so that you see black laptops onscreen with illuminated Windows logos on the backside, a la MacBook Pros… I hate those bastards.

• 2 weeks later...
Whenever you see an obscured brand on a tv show it is because the studio sees that as an opportunity to make some advertising cash (product placement). They can't expect apple to pony up the bread if they are already placing the products, so they cover up the label. It's not because apple doesn't want free promotion :)

My daughters were watching a program last week - iCarly - and they had a laptop with a pear logo. It was styled like the Apple logo just in the shape of a pear. I have to admit that I like it.

Alan.

I've got younger siblings that are still in the age range to watch those shows. Seems the producer has created an alternate reality where everyone uses "PearPods", "PearPhones", and the like. Further, you'll notice the graphics for that show imply an iMovie-esque program used to edit their web show. Not Logic, but still.

I've got younger siblings that are still in the age range to watch those shows.

Yet you seem to have such an in-depth knowledge of this show... Do you really have younger siblings?

:wink:

Alan.

Of course… [looks around nervously] :oops:

:lol: I'm older enough that I watch them often, so the TV's on whatever they like while I'm working on my laptop, and that tends to be the Nickelodeon fare, as Disney's is just too. damn. annoying.

Oh yeah my kids have Nickelodeon on an awful lot but at least they seem to have outgrown Hannah Montanna & Suite Life of Zac & Cody arrgh.

We must be a bit behind with 30 Rock over here as I still haven't seen the episode mentioned in the 1st post. We're on season 5 and last nights episode had Jack trying to save Liz and Carol's relationship and Kelsey Grammer conning a cake shop with Jenna & Kenneth. Will that episode be coming up soon?

Alan.