Rough Guidelines for rates-The comm hussle

Ok i am new to the production of music on the mac-but things are slowly coming together. I have been asked to provide background schlock for someone with a bizness- For some type of idea on how much to charge, i would appreciate some feedback from other- who actually do this- so a) i do not end up undercutting or b) overcharging and losing a client.

here are some scenarios:

1.30 second b.g. music no restrictions on content(i.e. no input from client)

2.30 second spot with major story/sound board ides from client

in both of these there would be the use of midi- unlicensed samples- and the playing of live guitar or bass

3.bedtrack of a hiphop tune(maybe fee could reflect how long and maybe the use of a live muscian(S)

4.Finished hiphop/dance track minus vocals

5.Webshit-The composing of an original theme tailored to the sight- with other sound clips for different areas of the site...Again i know it depends on length so any suggetions

I have read very little on this so if anyone knows of some good sites or contacts feel free to post them -thank u-

Hey Osama's mama. First of all, love your screen-name, haha!

Now as for your question: that's a really tough one to answer. Have you ever done it before?

First of all you should establish your bottom line: how much is your time worth? $7/hr? $25/hr? $100/hr? How long do you expect each project to take?

Then what I would do is contact a couple of composers/studios in your area and act like you are the client asking for a quote. That will give you a good idea of the marked in your area.

Then you'll be in a better position to decide how much you should charge!

Always a tough question at first. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply- my experience has been only with arranging for horns and ryth section- and then yes i did use a hourly scale. I am in the great white north Canada(dont tell W) and right now where i am i have no idea even where to scratch the surface- the scene seems tight and clique-y There really is no access to a jingle syndicate. From what i have heard it is not individuals but jingle houses-so if anyone in canada knows the names of these bizness- hook me up - cuz the mock commition thing sounds good- but i wil have to make sure i prep for it so i do not sound like a dumb ass..

Well then maybe look up some websites, I know some people offer those services on the internet... see how much they charge, that will give you a good starting point...

Sorry I can't help you anymore. I haven't done much, just a couple of shorts soundtracks for $200 and little website stuff for friends... (for free!)

• 2 weeks later...

What to charge for your studio time is always a paradox.

To get a commercial return on a well-equipped studio, you have to ask for big bucks when people want to come in. However, are you scaring away bands or artists who may give you your only business ? Also, what if you frightened off a band who haven't yet broken on the scene but are going to be big and you missed all those points for production/engineering etc etc ?

It's a nightmare, really.

But, set yourself some targets. Say to yourself, "Would I serve fast-food for $3-an-hour ?" No ? Then don't run your studio for $3-an-hour.

If a radio station wants 50 vinyl LP's cleaned and transferred to CD, charge like hell, man. If a really good band walk in the door and you love their sound and their songs, do a demo for free and get a slice of their production action *before* they're headlining Marley Park or doing a half-hour on MTV ! ! !

I've been in this old game a long time and there are no easy answers.

8)

Thanks for feedback(maybe i shant be typing due to overwhelming bitterness but..) going out on a limb these days as far as donating time/gear and ideas just does not seem worth it-u are dreaming if u work with individuals/clients(that are not close personal friends) with the intention that ur efforts will be recognized and they will remain loyal to u. No matter what the size of the project-we are pretty much disposable- and the client/and artist eventually realize this maybe with the help of some coercsion from some agent, manager, production team etc...If anyone has any positive experiences who is an independant small "guy" contractor let loose with stories-Hopefully this will renew my faith that people can be honest, sincere and can portray non-flat lining levels of integrity-so if the posts have elements of "who u know" who u blow" and"who has the pointier star of david" i wants none of it...

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Hunter S. Thompson

• 2 months later...

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Heh heh heh, "There's also a negative side!" ...well blow me out of a cannon! :lol: