I am quite happy to create any image file at 6K... but this is way too small for Avatar files - hence thinking there might be a problem somewhere. If you take a look to see for example what file size lagerfeldt's avatar is, my Mac reports it to be circa 17K hence not understanding what's happening here. with avatars.

Hopefully David can come along and advise.

Just as an aside....

I use a little app called Genius Generator (from the App Store) that automatically will take any photo and crunch it down to any size... There are lots of presets and it works very well indeed keeping the much smaller end results, nice and detailed..

Here is a quick example.. This was a 3000x1800 photo crunched down to 57x57 (iPhone icon size) 9kb jpg

282771211_tinyshot.jpeg.444023f89a56f201ca6cff4e372878e7.jpeg

Edited by n6smith

Oh I know.. That has to be a setting that got changed somehow.. as my own Avatar that I uploaded some time ago is about 8KB so i think it's just a setting somewhere that David needs to tweak. I just suggested that app because i found it to be a great way of creating sharp and clear Avatars from whatever size source.. :)

Right .. that makes sense except I am not hosting my Avatar (at least as far as i am aware..)

Update #2: I was talking out of my hat....... in regards to hosting or not hosting my Avatar....

I believe I uploaded it to your server David.. and at the time it was about 8KB though it shows as under 6KB under the Avatar Upload screen? That could be explained by the difference between the size on disk and the actual size..... (...and i am guessing that is the case)

Update: Yes.. the reported size difference is caused by the difference between actual size and size on disk..

986781091_Sizedifference.png.7f110612704e264a465fc73463f0d361.png

However...

What's odd is that if I download the image from the one next to my post and then try and upload it again it now says...

The submitted avatar is 126 pixels wide and 140 pixels high. Avatars must be at least 20 pixels wide and 20 pixels high, but no larger than 135 pixels wide and 100 pixels high.

So according to the msg my Avatar is now 40 pixels too high?

Edited by n6smith

LOL!

Sorry David...

I'd forgotten about that completely!!

I do talk some nonsense at times huh?

:)

Anyhow... Does that also explain the difference in the allowed dimensions too?

If it does, feel free to delete my posts as i don't think they add much to the thread...

At this point I'm not sure. We had discovered the same kind of issues with the mods a while ago and I never really gave it my full attention (so many things to do...). I'll have to find some time, sit down and really research this topic - so for now leave all your info there, as it could be useful when trying to figure out what's going on.

Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...