Track visibility management

sambosun

Right now I miss these key commands for (toggle):

- Hide selected tracks (at the moment its only possible to hide one selected track without using groups)

- Hide/Show soloed tracks only

- Hide/Show muted tracks

Also the Toggle Hide Group command has a lot of lag.

Edited by sambosun
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

It makes sense to be able to show/hide tracks in the Tracks Window based on criteria:

1062339508_FR-LPX-TrackVisibility3.png.8d63800f2929cbd19e0ae4d8dc2daaf3.png

I took the idea of what is already there (only in the mixer)

Wouldn't it be cool if you could highlight a couple of tracks and create track visibility groups?

With a touch of a button or key command you make only these groups visible.

As of now its only possible if you create mixing groups and show hide them.

Update 1: I've updated the screenshot

Edited by sambosun

Here another mockup regarding "crowded" interface related to my previous suggestions

There could be another bunch of Key Commands in a key command section called "Track Visibility"

The interface could get another button to open/close an inspector on the left.

This inspector should mirror:

- tracks/ track stacks/global tracks?

- track selection

- show/hide dot (icon?) to show hide tracks

- show//hide should be optionally reflected in the mixer

- select tracks contiguous via shift or non contiguous via command key when you click the show/hide icon (dot) selected tracks show/hide

in the tracks area

- inherits a search field on top which is reachable via a global customizable key command i.e. command+option+F

- when you input a search criteria like "perc" it filters down the track list only showing tracks based on criteria

236229637_FR-LPX-TrackSearch02.png.6929eb7b76239e672e01430d445799ca.png

And here an idea how this could work in action. Nevermind the GUI/ program you are seeing here its just about the workflow.

818180955_FR-TracklistVisibilityExamp01.thumb.gif.1e4c4373a302096b15a908f3c9c6e364.gif

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Right now I miss these key commands for (toggle):

- Hide/Show selected tracks (at the moment its only possible to hide one selected track without using groups)

Also the Toggle Hide Group command has a lot of lag.

Hiding multiple selected tracks is fixed!

Toggle hide group is snappier in 10.3.1 but why we still can't assign more than 9 hide groups to key commands/ controller assignments is beyond me. :-)

• 3 months later...
I think a tagging feature could help this as well. Imagine if you could tag tracks based on instrument and library/developer. Then you could show/hide tracks based on multiple criteria. You could show all brass instruments, just horns, just brass from a spesific developer etc. Not sure how well this would work with keyboard shortcuts though, as you could potentially get far more tags than keyboard shortcuts could cover.

Funnily I’m working on a mock-up of exactly that. With ideas from the Apple loops browser. Everything should be key command ready and also midi and osc assignable. It should also work with logic remote. Logic remote should auto label its rows based on the tags you introduce to the logic project. I mean tags is a part of the finder and now on iOS as well. Why not using tags to tag groups of tracks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Another one missing is:

Show selected tracks only

Still not possible to do this with a keyboard shortcut?

Through the context menu of the mouse (right button) I do see the option to “Hide selected tracks” and “Hide unselected tracks” in the latest version of Logic Pro X, but I cannot assign a keyboard shortcut to do this. Is it really not possible?

• 1 year later...

to keep this alive. It is crazy that Logic is one of the two DAWs in my portfolio that still doesn't allow this. In Studio One I use the above mentioned shortcuts on my streamdeck/ meta grid all the time!

Maybe one day. Until then I use logic only for legacy compatibility!

On 4/12/2022 at 3:21 PM, ChoPraTs said:

Still not possible to do this with a keyboard shortcut?

Through the context menu of the mouse (right button) I do see the option to “Hide selected tracks” and “Hide unselected tracks” in the latest version of Logic Pro X, but I cannot assign a keyboard shortcut to do this. Is it really not possible?

I can assign keyboard shortcuts to this fine here...

SCR-20230429-omb.thumb.png.836ee180e9fd8e8b81c5a40ecd9d840a.png