Searchable track list

sambosun

Would be nice to hit a key stroke and a seachfield gets activated to seach a track or folder like when you do a spotlight search.

As soon as you type a name like perc all and only these tracks appear in the tracks list. Or logic would show a list of resulting tracks as soon as you click one of them the selected track gets highlighted and the track list resets to all visible tracks.

Here another mockup regarding "crowded" interface with my previous suggestions

There could be another bunch of Key Commands in a key command section called "Track Visibility"

The interface could get another button to open/close an inspector on the left.

This inspector should mirror:

- tracks/ track stacks/global tracks?

- track selection

- show/hide dot (icon?) to show hide tracks

- show//hide should be optionally reflected in the mixer

- select tracks contiguous via shift or non contiguous via command key when you click the show/hide icon (dot) selected tracks show/hide

in the tracks area

- inherits a search field on top which is reachable via a global customizable key command i.e. command+option+F

- when you input a search criteria like "perc" it filters down the track list only showing tracks based on criteria

file.php?id=25254

And here an idea how this could work in action. Nevermind the GUI/ program you are seeing here its just about the workflow.

file.php?id=25255

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
+1

Logic needs this asap. Let's face it, adding code to filter the list would probably take an hour.

I don't believe that it's that easy too add otherwise it would've already been implemented.

If you want this feature to be part of LPX I highly recommend to let the developers know via the feedback page.

Edited by sambosun

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I check back here every so often to see if there's any hope of this. So frustrating with a big template having to scroll and scroll to find tracks. Tried using keyboard maestro and Metagrid to trigger a macro to find the group I'm looking for, but as soon as I add in a track extra, alls goes wonky.

Became aware of patchboard earlier which seems to do exactly what we're looking for. But it's expensive and it's a separate app. Looks great though. Just wish Logic would add something like this. There's posts going back over 10 years pleading for it.

• 4 weeks later...
I check back here every so often to see if there's any hope of this. So frustrating with a big template having to scroll and scroll to find tracks. Tried using keyboard maestro and Metagrid to trigger a macro to find the group I'm looking for, but as soon as I add in a track extra, alls goes wonky.

How did you use Keyboard Maestro to search for tracks? I have track stacks that never change from project to project, would love to implement a search for those things at least!

How did you use Keyboard Maestro to search for tracks? I have track stacks that never change from project to project, would love to implement a search for those things at least!

A bit crudely! I've got a screenset on number 2 that is just the arrange page. Then in Metagrid I select what I want which triggers the action. It just selects that screenset, minimises the zoom, makes the hidden tracks visible, then selects all the tracks and pushes arrow up to select the top / first track, then scrolls down to the track I want it to. Then waits for me to unhide whichever track I want, then arms it, recalls my default zoom settings and goes back to the main screenset. It's all done with 'wait for image' in KM so can't share unfortunately. Doesn't work all the time, very flakey, but makes it a little less of a headache when it does. Stuck in that template too, soon as you add an extra track in it all goes to pot.

Actually trying to decide whether to get patchboard (patchboard.app) or make the jump to dare I say it... Nuendo at the moment. This track search thing along with a lot of little features are starting to make Logic a little frustrating. Having to work more in surround, watched WWDC last night fully expecting there to be an update to accommodate the Spatial Audio updates to Apple Music and everything, but nothing. Surround in Logic is full of bugs, really frustrating when the same company is pushing a new surround format.

• 5 months later...

I like @sambosun's mock up with filtering.

It would be great to just steal some additional track filtering ideas from Digital Performer.

In DP, in addition to filtering tracks by name, you can also hide or show tracks based on all sorts of criteria: track type (Instrument, MIDI, Audio, AUX, etc.), whether the track is empty or contains content, etc.

Logic already has the ability to select tracks based on certain criteria:

• All
  • Unused
  • Same-Colored
  • Instrument
  • MIDI
  • Audio
  • Drummer
  • Aux
  • Sub/VCA
  • Summing Stack
  • Folder Stack
  • Folder

It would be great to add:

• Used
  • Used (within locators)
  • Unused (within locators)
  • Enabled (Track On)
  • Disabled (Track Off)

Right now, acting on filtered track selection in Logic is pretty clunky. To show only empty tracks, you have to:

1. Select all Tracks
  2. Toggle Show/Hide until they all appear
  3. Select Tracks -> Unused
  4. Invert Selection
  5. Toggle Show/Hide

So it would be great if in addition to selecting tracks using the Track criteria, a user could also do the following:

• Deselect
  • Hide
  • Show
  • Show Only

This would allow for very powerful track filtering.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...