Duplicate Marquee selection like Pro Tools (optional)

sambosun

Due to my work with pro tools and logic I would like to suggest another Marquee range behavior enhancement. Especially should the development team look at how pro tools handles range selection and what happens during copy/paste/duplicate procedures.

I often work in "No Overlap" drag mode when editing. When a marquee selection is made Logic doesn't recognize the whole range as region (clip).

In Pro Tools if one selects a certain range containing silence and clips (region) and does a duplicate action the whole range will be handled as a clip (region). So as soon as the user copy/paste/duplicates the range following clips (regions) will be replaced by the exact range selection. No need to cleanup before duplicating a range selection as it is to this moment in Logic.

It would help a tremendously if the "No Overlap" drag mode could be enhanced!

I herewith suggest to rename and repurpose the "Drag Modes" to "Edit Modes" yes there are still people who love

using key commands which is faster and might also be more clear to people using accessibility features of mac os x ;)

Take a look:

NoOverlap_480.mov.gif.5b57bb20432c4ccaabd69d2a4748b9c1.gif

No Overlap Pro Tools vs Logic Pro X

• 1 year later...
Due to my work with pro tools and logic I would like to suggest another Marquee range behavior enhancement. Especially should the development team look at how pro tools handles range selection and what happens during copy/paste/duplicate procedures.

I often work in "No Overlap" drag mode when editing. When a marquee selection is made Logic doesn't recognize the whole range as region (clip).

In Pro Tools if one selects a certain range containing silence and clips (region) and does a duplicate action the whole range will be handled as a clip (region). So as soon as the user copy/paste/duplicates the range following clips (regions) will be replaced by the exact range selection. No need to cleanup before duplicating a range selection as it is to this moment in Logic.

It would help a tremendously if the "No Overlap" drag mode could be enhanced!

I herewith suggest to rename and repurpose the "Drag Modes" to "Edit Modes" yes there are still people who love

using key commands which is faster and might also be more clear to people using accessibility features of mac os x ;)

Take a look:

[attachment=0]NoOverlap_480.mov.gif[/attachment]

You can Achieve this with folder, instead of marquee selection.

Check my youtube video

" rel="external nofollow">https://youtu.be/

• 5 months later...

As a remainder:

In Pro Tools if the user selects a certain range containing silence and clips (region) and applies a duplicate action the whole range will be handled as a clip (region) including gaps/empty space. As soon as the user copy/paste/duplicates the range following clips (regions) will be replaced by the exact range selection. No need to cleanup before duplicating a Marquee selection as we have to at Logics current state.

Here is a quick mockup where to put that option

Preferences > General > Editing > Marquee Tool: Region Marquee behavior (WT)

522035527_LPXKeepMarqueeselection-prefC.png.5f01985cfbf33c0a51245aec9468606c.png

If enabled the Marquee selection will behave like a Region and therefor if duplicated it will place gaps as well.

Here is a video mockup showing that behavior in action:

• 5 months later...
As a remainder:

In Pro Tools if the user selects a certain range containing silence and clips (region) and applies a duplicate action the whole range will be handled as a clip (region) including gaps/empty space. As soon as the user copy/paste/duplicates the range following clips (regions) will be replaced by the exact range selection. No need to cleanup before duplicating a Marquee selection as we have to at Logics current state.

Here is a quick mockup where to put that option

Preferences > General > Editing > Marquee Tool: Region Marquee behavior (WT)

LPX Keep Marquee selection - pref C.png

If enabled the Marquee selection will behave like a Region and therefor if duplicated it will place gaps as well.

Here is a video mockup showing that behavior in action:

I need this badly!

• 2 months later...
Logic Pros marquee tool works selection based whereas Pro Tools works time based. I really hope that the marquee tool gets updated in a way to use it as a time based editing tool the way described above. Logic is not the only DAW on the market missing out on this editing feature. Edited by sambosun

• 2 weeks later...