Ultrabeat UI update

Ploki

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I would love to see Ultrabeat be 5+ outputs, and each output is it's own page/instrument. Kinda like Nicky Romero "Kick", but also for snare and claps, and you know whatever other percussion you can think of, and have a maximum of 24 outputs, so that you can EQ, Compress, and Modulate the sounds to your hearts content. Also sample layering would be nice too, and a randomization similar to NI Polyplex would be great too.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
+1 for me too. It's 2020 lol.. Hopefully we get an update soon. It would be nice if they could give drum machine designer all of ultra beats features but still keep the drum machine designer look and feel. As a UI designer myself I'd be glad to design what it could look like if they'd listen. OR... they COULD take a page out of the MPC and just make a full blown sampler that loads up drums, samples, time stretching, and chopping ability all into one plugin... this way you can satisfy the needs of the drum programmers and samplers at once. Just my two cents.

+1 for me too. It's 2020 lol.. Hopefully we get an update soon. It would be nice if they could give drum machine designer all of ultra beats features but still keep the drum machine designer look and feel. As a UI designer myself I'd be glad to design what it could look like if they'd listen. OR... they COULD take a page out of the MPC and just make a full blown sampler that loads up drums, samples, time stretching, and chopping ability all into one plugin... this way you can satisfy the needs of the drum programmers and samplers at once. Just my two cents.

I mean, I think ultrabeats strength is also in its synthesis engine... approach i'd like to keep

I mean, I think ultrabeats strength is also in its synthesis engine... approach i'd like to keep

Yeah, thats why I'd like to keep all the functions but just give a good modern facelift along with some extra features that other drum machines and samplers currently have.

Yeah, thats why I'd like to keep all the functions but just give a good modern facelift along with some extra features that other drum machines and samplers currently have.

yes please, i'd pay for Logic upgrade that would bring this to the table

• 3 years later...
On 8/19/2023 at 6:34 PM, Neil Gilmartin said:

August 2023…

Rather than taking the time to do a Ultrabeat GUI, the Logic team has taken a different approach, creating Drum Machine Designer and Drum Synth (which is simplified, modernized GUI for a single Ultrabeat drum element). 

Because of that, now I'm not so sure a full Ultrabeat GUI redesign is coming. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2023 at 1:34 PM, David Nahmani said:

Logic team has taken a different approach, creating Drum Machine Designer

I wish DMD was a bit more robust and more 2023 when it comes to how it handles files such as being able to load samples directly from each pad with Prev / Next buttons or arrows (I'm not even mentioning that a dedicated browser would be amazing).

One of the things I've been noticing with Logic is that Apple creates "half-baked" features/instruments, but then it seems that they are somehow abandoned. They may fix some issues, but it seems they don't actually improve them. DMD, the Live Loops section, etc.

And that's why, even if they were somehow trying to compete with Ableton Live with the live loops section, it feels like a super rough demo of a product that could be great. The same with DMD, imo. Lots of potential, but poor execution.

Edited by Danny Wyatt
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Danny Wyatt said:

One of the things I've been noticing with Logic is that Apple creates "half-baked" features/instruments, but then it seems that they are somehow abandoned.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way in many cases. It sometimes feels like they've done the bare minimum for a feature to work and be useable, but haven't spent the time and care to really put some love into it and polish features to make a truly Apple-level experience. The Preset browser is a case in point, but I could point to many others too...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, des99 said:

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way in many cases. It sometimes feels like they've done the bare minimum for a feature to work and be useable, but haven't spent the time and care to really put some love into it and polish features to make a truly Apple-level experience. The Preset browser is a case in point, but I could point to many others too...

Exactly. They were like "let's create something similar to Ableton Live", but in the end they won't be able to convert Ableton users into Logic users because of a half-baked feature, but Logic users end up not using the feature as much, because it feel incomplete. At least that's how I feel about it. 

And sometimes the tweaks are not even super complex from the point of view of usability (I know that when it comes to coding, that's a different thing). For example the Live Loops would be a great tool if we were able to create "Live Loop Regions" in the Tracks area, that trigger the loops in the Loops area. That way we could build arrangements that use MIDI notes to trigger the loops. We could then make changes to the length of the loop, change the loop without having to record the loop to audio. Stuff like that.

9 minutes ago, des99 said:

The Preset browser is a case in point, but I could point to many others too...

Yes the browser, both the Patches and the Apple Loops, should be improved. It's painful to find patches and loops.

And yeah, there are a lot of different sections that could be tweaked just to make the workflow a bit smoother. For example in Alchemy the fact that we need to click menus over and over again to load another preset (e.g. Reverb, Delay, etc). The same for the filter types in Alchemy, Retro Synth, etc. Simple things that from a UX point of view, this should be more than obvious. Who wants to click and navigate menus over and over again?!

Edited by Danny Wyatt