Non-destructive audio region pitching/tuning in arrangement

Darude

Non-destructive audio region tuning in arrangement; you could tune a bit of audio sampler-like, basically changing the playback speed, pitching it up or down, i.e. shortening or lengthening it, i.e. telling Logic how many cents or semitones higher or lower it should be played.

Let's say I have a sample pack with a great sounding chord sample I want to use, but it's a semitone off for my project, say, a Bm, but I need a Cm. I could duplicate the sample, go to Time Machine and process it 100c higher, but with this requested feature I just select the sample, ctrl-click & choose the command in a menu or hit a key command and then punch in +100c. When hitting enter I'd see the sample shorten a little bit, if it was visible full length. If the region was longer even pitched up than what it is currently cut to, then the right region border would stay where it is and even the pre-made click-removing safety fade-out would just refresh in the background. This would make melodic audio sample editing super quick and straightforward.

you could implement different pitch algorithms though, ones with stretching and ones with just playback speed.

You can "kinda" do that with  "Speed" flextime mode, but the problem is you need to gauge pitch by ear, that's why i think it would be super easy to implement, since the way you describe it, it already works, except you have to punch in length and not pitch.

+1 anyway, it would be great.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...