Batch re-name tracks and regions window

sambosun

As the finder allows to batch rename files I wish for such an option in Logic itself.

Not seldom I want to select a couple of tracks and add an abbreviation to the beginning like str or perc or drm or replace text in multiple selected channel strips. Or I want to rename multiple regions which does work but how can I add or replace text on a region level? I have to meticulously do it one by one.

A batch re-name facility right within Logic would solve this!

Replace Text:

Has a Find and Replace field

There we could also use regular expressions to enable advanced matching and replacing.

Add Text:

Allows to add text to the beginning, a specified point within or end of existing track, channel strip or region names

Numbering:

Allows to add numbers (whooop leading zeros are back) or letters at the beginning, index or end of existing track, channel strip or region names

Unlike the finder renaming dialog the Logic batch re-name window should allow to mix and match all three main areas above.

(Mock-up of the Batch re-name process is in the works)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I mean something like this!

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!

I can't even tell you how many times I have painstakingly renamed Tracks (I always want more than simple numbering) so the resulting recorded audio files will have useful info like a project, date, or song indicator so that I don't end up with my 104th copy of audio file Kick#01 - I mean really, why would you want all your tracks and audio files to be My Song#01, My Song#02 with no indication of what each track/audio file is specifically a recording of). So, I've started naming tracks things like 18PB_10.26_Kick, 18PB_10.26_Snare, etc. one at a freaking time, or I go back and rename the audio files afterward, one at a freaking time. But that extra text on the track name also really gets in the way of viewing what the track is. It would be simpler for the track to BE just (Kick) and the audio file be named something unique and useful (NOT Kick#01). This is especially difficult on a multi-day live multitrack record project where I have 32 channels recording live, multiple shows per day. HUNDREDS of files where there may be several with non-unique names unless I painstakingly rename tracks or files.

PLEASE O PLEASE let the Logic gods decide to bless us with REAL batch renaming like AVID or several OS X utilities that exist (Name Mangler, for example). Please +100 upvote that one for me.

Also, give us the option to set the take sequence number of the recorded audio files. For example, you're recording 6, or 8, or 10, or whatever tracks of drums. It would be nice for all audio files for take one to have #01 appended to the end of the file name. But what if you accidentally record on one drum track but not the others? Then take #02 for the kick goes with take #01 for the other tracks. You can trick Logic to start at #01 again by renaming all the tracks involved, but that's extra work that shouldn't be needed. Let us set the take number to #01 or #100 -- whatever we want as needed.

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...