Score Editor New Feature Request - Justify Staves

Music Spirit

Score Editor Feature Request:

i) The capacity to put rpt symbols ./. for chords - at the moment if two or more bars have the same chord symbol - you either have to leave it blank or repeat the chord - both look odd and far from working practise

ii) Rehearsal Letters - linked to Marker Objects - so in the score editor you can TAB between your own Rehearsal Letters like you can tab between Markers without needing to be able to see the Markers

iii) Improve the quality of the Score Fonts for good engraving purposes to the graphic quality of Digital Performer and Sibelius

iv) Recode Johannes Prischl's "Repeater Pro" feature so that you can set a Logic Document to seamlessly jump back and forth to follow Repeat Ist and 2nd Endings, DS, DC al Coda type commands so the entire Arrangement plays like Sibelius.

But this is the main one:

v) Justify Staves

When I beatmap an audiotrack and create an arrangement it looks like this:

1887359919_ScreenShot2017-12-24at00_55_47.thumb.png.2c4451137c2f66c57cf269c9036d173a.png

And when I open the Score Editor of say the Concert Leadsheet part it looks like this because of the gaps between the Regions.

Now imagine if you could apply a command which would JUSTIFY stave lines 2 & 3 & 4 and also 8 & 9 the Part would look perfectly normal using this method.

By the way - the advantage of doing scores like this is that you can follow the Score and the arrangement tracks the music exactly - so you would see the Play head play through say the first time bar of a Rpt section - then you would hear the second time bar being played ( reading the music through as written) then you would see the Playhead 'catch up' with the score on the Second time bar - during the solos it would go round and round ( you would know where you were by hearing the track play) and then when you got to the coda you would find the playhead catching up again.

The only defect with this system is that the lengths of the staves look odd - ie not normal working practise - this could be solved by having a feature which justifies/expands the length of bars to fit an entire width of the page like the other groups of bars.

775061465_ScreenShot2017-12-24at01_02_26.thumb.png.6e4ed86425fff8a7118a07c2a4d64ed4.png

) The capacity to put rpt symbols ./. for chords - at the moment if two or more bars have the same chord symbol - you either have to leave it blank or repeat the chord - both look odd and far from working practise

Would this not work ?

1459818124_ScreenShot2017-12-27at1_09_44AM.png.90bfd05127dff24bcd1afc7b188518d6.png

ii) Rehearsal Letters - linked to Marker Objects - so in the score editor you can TAB between your own Rehearsal Letters like you can tab between Markers without needing to be able to see the Markers

Well give your rehearsal marks and markers the same name...Now you can say go to.... B Since B is a Marker tied to a Rehearsal mark that looks the same it will drive a expected result..... correct ? I have a marker called B and a rehearsal Mark called B - I tell logic to to B and violla - it goes to B

iii) Improve the quality of the Score Fonts for good engraving produce the high graphic quality of Digital Performer and Sibelius

- Can you not use Bravaura, swing , Jazz and or Sonata to product high quality engraving equal to the others.... I would like an opportunity to challenge that if you feel you cannot do something the other programs can....

Would this not work ?

Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 1.09.44 AM.png

Yes - that symbol after the C chord is what I was looking for ( with the Single dash and 2 dots) - how did you generate it?!

give your rehearsal marks and markers the same name...Now you can say go to.... B Since B is a Marker tied to a Rehearsal mark that looks the same it will drive a expected result..... correct ? I have a marker called B and a rehearsal Mark called B - I tell logic to to B and voila - it goes to B

Yes, sensible work around thanks

iii) Improve the quality of the Score Fonts for good engraving produce the high graphic quality of Digital Performer and Sibelius

- Can you not use Bravaura, swing , Jazz and or Sonata to product high quality engraving equal to the others.... I would like an opportunity to challenge that if you feel you cannot do something the other programs can....

No excuse ;) I need to experiment with those...

It is in the Bravura Font.. I used Unicode "E500"....

Two ways...

Create a text style that uses Bravura

Choose this as your insert default font.

1/ either use Font Book to drag and drop the symbol into the text field created or

2/ Using unicode ( make sure that input source is available ) and selected....

create the text field and hit option+E500....

subsequent use can be through copying as you would normal text or repeat the above...

here is an example.....

2007100967_repeatit.thumb.gif.3740eba7444bfe992533bcc93e4578d0.gif

It is in the Bravura Font.. I used Unicode "E500"....

Two ways...

Create a text style that uses Bravura

Choose this as your insert default font.

1/ either use Font Book to drag and drop the symbol into the text field created or

2/ Using unicode ( make sure that input source is available ) and selected....

create the text field and hit option+E500....

subsequent use can be through copying as you would normal text or repeat the above...

here is an example.....

repeat it.gif

This is incredibly useful thanks! - Just a basic questions if you can bear with me :)

Bravura is not visible or available from Text Styles or Font Book or anywhere on my MacBook Pro - is it a third Party Font? I have never installed Fonts...

What are - as a matter of interest - the main 3rd Party fonts one should acquire for Logic Scoring purposes and where does one get them?

Thanks to @GregV for suggesting and explaining use of different fonts. Here is an example of the fruits of exploration...

1238443482_ScreenShot2017-12-30at21_42_21.thumb.png.d9097b6d59525e3d33a063ee57dd5c03.png

With the following notes:

1 - Finally after years I have succeeded in adding the rpt symbol in the chord line via bravura font as explained by Greg above.

2 - I have also experimented with using a Logic Chord Root ( the G) with a readymade graphic chord symbol describing the quality of the chord.

( My own jury is still out on the usefulness of this because it took me ages to choose the correct Chord Root Font and then Resize Tool the Graphic part of the chord so that it looks like homogenous. I am not sure that this is worth it - and given that I dont like or need very complicated chords with loads of flat 13th this etc - I think there are much more basic chord symbols that would leave the player free to add his/her own voicing accurately - but it is certainly a huge benefit to have this option.

In the example above I think I still find clearer the conventional Logic Chord Tool generated chord with classic Times Roman Bold native Font...

3 - Greg showed me how to either generate the Hex Code or drag in the Symbol from Font Book ( which I havent quite got together yet). I also went through all the Bravura available symbols and screened shotted the Hex Code for the ones I would find useful and put them in a Folder I could refer to. However this was a massively lengthy process.

Conclusions:

One way of avoiding having to drag in Symbols from Font Book or to have to keep changing Text Styles to select the correct Hex Code symbol each time is to create a Logic Template which includes an 8 bar Region which contains ALL the particular symbols an Individual User might need - ie your own Personal External Font User Set so that each time you want to select one, you just select copy and paste the symbol at the location in your real score!!!

I would also love to know which external symbols you Logic Score Editor Arrangers think would be particularly essential in a personal template ???

1211680990_ScreenShot2017-12-30at21_49_24.thumb.png.9f92f8867113a0efd0f296e8f836962b.png