Piano Roll Multi-Tool

Vim Doozy

I like how flexible the brush tool is. It made me wonder... what if there was a "multi-tool" which could essentially eliminate the need to use the pointer, eraser, velocity, and pencil tool in the piano roll?

Using the brush tool as the basis, it could work as follows:

Existing brush tool interactions:

• Click = insert note (length dictated by time quantization amount)
  • Click + Horizontal Drag = brush notes across piano roll
  • Click + Shift + Vertical Drag = insert note and adjust velocity amount (substitutes velocity tool)
  • Click existing note = delete note (substitutes eraser tool)
  • Click existing note and drag over other notes = delete all notes you drag across (substitutes eraser tool)
  • Shift + Click + Drag = move note (substitutes pointer tool - amend this command)
  • Shift + Drag Editor Background = Drag a selection box (substitutes pointer tool)

Additional/Amended interactions:

• Shift + Click + Vertical Drag = adjust velocity of existing note (amended - mirrors the velocity adjustment interaction when brushing new notes)
  • Option + Click + Drag = move note (since shift now always relates to velocity adjustment with this tool)
  • Option + Click = inherit selected note length and velocity (substitutes pencil tool)
  • Shift + Option + Horizontal Drag = adjust existing note length (substitutes pencil tool - could also be called upon whilst brushing to momentarily switch horizontal movement to note length adjustment, rather than brushing; though perhaps this one may complicate matters, i.e. what length is the next note when you release the command and how does the command affect brush patterns?)

Sorry if that's hard to visualize. Maybe I'm crazy, but with a tool like the above, you could do practically everything you need to do in the piano roll with 1 mouse button and the shift and option key.