Drag and drop from arrange window to plugin.

JamesK

• 1 month later...

I think audiofile dragging from the arrange could (and possibly should) be possible. And it's most likely not a VST vs. AU issue.

As we all know (hopefully at least), we can already drag audiofiles straight to plugins from Logics audio bin. But what's happening here is that you always drag the entire audiofile to the plugin. In other words: There's no region information transported. But that's what would be important in case you could drag files straight from the arrange to a plugin.

IMO there'd be two ways to skin this cat:

1) The plugin you drag files onto would have to "understand" the region information provided by Logic. Sure, it works with the EXS (as it's embedded deeply into Logic) but it's very unlikely that this might happen with any 3rd party plugin.

2) Logic would automatically convert regions to new audiofiles once you perform such a drag and drop operation. That would be the much more likely thing that could be added as it would cause zero problems with the target plugin.

Anyway, given that you can sort of go for solution 2 already, these things aren't too much of an issue for me. If you do a "convert regions to audio files" you can easily drag the created regions from your audio bin. The only downside possibly being that this conversion will always also change the regions file reference, so before you start it might be wise to copy the original regions to a new track beforehand. At least that's how I'm handling these things.

Fwiw, once you got used to the involved steps (and use keycommands instead of menus), it works pretty fast.