Option for Drummer to show up "dry"

Sascha Franck

I simply wish there was an option for Drummer to *only* show up with its drumset and nothing else.

I mean, who's the producer? Me or the Ringo-Wannabe that I hired? Who is he/she, thinking they should come along with their dynamic processors, pedalboards and reverb units? Get that damn kit ready to play and I'll take care about anything else!

Seriously: I just don't want Drummer to mess with my inserts and busses. I just don't. But I *do* want the kits to change with the drumming person most of the time, so making use of the "keep kit while firing Drummers" option isn't always a great solution.

Ah ok, sorry i thought it worked when you changed drummers, but i'm thinking of when you change kit presets - i see what you're saying now.

Only other option available right now would be to create a new software instrument track, setup the kit as you wish and then copy an alias region from the drummer track region to the software instrument track (Shift+Alt when dragging), then mute the drummer track.

That way any changes to the drummer will also be reflected in the alias region - which is playing your own instrument setup.

But, the kits won't change obviously which is another request you wanted.

Ultimately you will have manual control over the kits and inserts/sends however. I use drummer with third party drum plugins using this method and it's good.

Just checked my Drummer - and there's two options, are you not seeing them? Seems like "keep settings" does as you are wanting?

254171081_ScreenShot2018-11-19at13_52_57.png.9f3d3d67bd61a7efc76de6fc2836fdc2.png

Edit: Ah ok, maybe not, that also changes if you leave the kit to change.

I don't see how it's possible to load a preset kit in and keep your settings, because some of the kit presets are single tracks and others are track stacks. The whole concept in changing kits AND keeping your routing intact in that instance is pretty much improbable.

Only other option available right now would be to create a new software instrument track, setup the kit as you wish and then copy an alias region from the drummer track region to the software instrument track (Shift+Alt when dragging), then mute the drummer track.

Yeah, I'm doing that already. I also make use of the "keep kit..." function (which is resulting in similar things).

But, the kits won't change obviously which is another request you wanted.

Exactly. I think that at least some of the Drummer/Kit combinations are working quite well (even if I may change things later on), so I'm fine with the kits changing (and there's options enough to not have them changed). I just don't want the additional mixing related stuff messing up my layouts. I really don't need that "small reverb with chorus in front" bus which is created all the time.

Fwiw, I don't exactly understand why the patch merging exclusions don't work for Drummer settings. Would be great if they did.

I don't see how it's possible to load a preset kit in and keep your settings, because some of the kit presets are single tracks and others are track stacks. The whole concept in changing kits AND keeping your routing intact in that instance is pretty much improbable.

Well, all the kits the "plain" drummers are using are simple kits. It's just the electronic dude/ttes using track stacks. And even those could be included. All I want is no further inserts, sends and busses.

I agree it's too bad the Patch Merging options do not apply to Drummer Tracks.

I suppose that as an imperfect workflow workaround, after you've removed the plug-ins from the channel strip, you could use "Keep drum kit when changing drummers" selected so that you can choose a Drummer in the Library without adding effect plug-ins, and choose a drum kit from the Library using patch merging. That supposes you're ok with selecting drummers and drum kits independently.

• 3 years later...
On 11/19/2018 at 4:01 AM, Sascha Franck said:

Seriously: I just don't want Drummer to mess with my inserts and busses.

Not sure if this was said already, I know this was posted some time ago so the OP may know this by now, but Drummer now has the Unmixed Producer Kit. Nothing in the channel strip, no routing.

Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 9.21.48 AM.png

Edited by Jose Nation
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/21/2018 at 3:46 PM, Sascha Franck said:

Well, it's really not a major issue. But it'd be handy to have in addition. For the time being, I have two Drummer tracks with everything else deleted in my main template and change kits myself. That'll teach the drumming beasts!

It would be interesting to listen 😇

• 1 month later...