Summing Track Stack with Auxes issue.

Sascha Franck

So, I have a guitar amp sim track and want to route it through two (or even more) auxes with Space Designer running some cab IRs in order to simulate a multi-cab/mic guitar setup. Fine, works a treat. Gets even more convenient once you use a summing Track Stack as you can just treat that as a plain audio track in your arranges track list but expand it to instantly see the cab channels. Still fine. Just that in this case, the mixer simply doesn't reflect what's going on in the arrange, the auxes are still placed all the way right from the "plain" tracks.

Is there any trick to have the mixer react the same as when you use instrument track stacks?

And yes, I am aware that the mixer doesn't allow for track re-ordering.

Have you tried the (once decried) Folder?

A folder can't pack empty tracks and a folder doesn't group anything in the mixer. Track stacks are capable of both, but once busses are involved, they somewhat fail at grouping things in the mixer.

All I would really like to have is an easy way of routing an audio track into a bunch of parallel tracks. There seems to be no other way but to use sends and busses. And the latter are only allowed to show up "by number".

Fwiw, I just tried again. And noticed I had my mixer set to "All" instead of "Tracks". Going with "All" does add expandable tracks to both the arrange and the mixer but doesn't help at all, either, because a) you can't properly record onto a track stack "master" (no input level indication, no access to plugins others than the one on the track stacks output) and b) moving regions on track stack masters is among the buggiest things I've ever seen in Logic (risk of data loss and all...).

Seems there's absolutely no comfortable way to do such a simple thing. Would be a piece of cake with analog equipment.

Instead of Tracks or All, have you tried Single in the mixer view?

Well, usually I keep my mixer at "Tracks" and don't feel like switching to "Single".

To mimic the analog equipment approach you could try recreate same, using the Auxilary channelstrips.

Not really. With an analog mixer, I could route the "main" channel through sends (or inserts) and have the returns routed to the next neighbour channels. Not possible in Logics mixer (unless you're using the environment, which is plain horrible in case you use it along with automatic track management).

But anyway, the main deal breaker for me seems to be that regions on Track Stack masters can't be dealt with properly at all.

Guess I'll just continue doing it as in L9, using auxes and separate mixer layouts on different screensets. Quite annoying that this still is the only way to properly work with parallel FX, especially in case they're 100% wet FX anyway.

Enable Automation on that Aux. This will give it a track and you can move this track next to the source track

Well, you can add auxes as a track without automation (just right/option-click onto them and you'll see the option). But that's not adressing the problem. Master Track Stack regions are just completely messed up.