Bounce In Place : I/O Print, Realtime, Record direct to Track Alternative

Davster

Hi All,

A few prongs on this idea: 1. New Destination for BIP - 2. New Mode Options.

I've recently started experimenting in Logic with routing audio through external hardware. I've found the experience somewhat painful so far, and just generally speaking an unnecessarily large pain in the ass. Firstly via the I/O plugin, which makes it a pain to print, and secondly via direct bus routing, which is a pain due to latency issues. It's also unnecessarily complicated to record external synths via the external instrument plugin (i.e. my Moog Sub37 receiving MIDI from logic). Manually sending tracks to busses and then audio tracks for recording? That's so 2000-and-late :roll:

I came up with the following workflow improvements quite literally in my sleep last night so see what you make of them. Rough Mockups included to help explain.

105814728_LogicProIdea1.thumb.jpg.eee89981f37db09a5a826aff53ebe85c.jpg

New Track alternative Destination: Logic will bounce the selected audio regions directly to a track alternative (or as a new take in a comp folder perhaps if you don't like the original idea).

There are a few details that would need to be worked out here. e.g. right now, if you create a new track alternative, it's an entirely new track for the entire length of the project. Ideally, Logic would create a new alternative *just* for the old selected region, move selected regions down, and then print the 'effected' regions in their place. This would be disabled in the case of a software instrument track.

New mode options

1. Realtime

Works just like File > Bounce > Project or Section with 'realtime' selected. Needed to use external hardware of course. e.g, Bouncing out content when using the external instrument plugin with a synth, or when running a track through an external rack unit *with the required latency compensation*. Just try bouncing a single track out through a latency-inducing hardware unit right now and see how many mouse-clicks you need. Just try. :evil:

2. Offline

Same as per. Boring.

3. Print I/O.

A variation on Realtime. Here, Logic will bounce-in-place only up until the active I/O plugins on the channel. Image of before/after included below. This avoids any duplication of processing when the bounce is finished, whilst allowing you to hear your full effect chain during recording for live moves. E.g. Feeding an external distortion unit with an EQed and Compressed signal, and then putting it through several other sound-changing software plugins on the hardware return. You want to hear how the distortion is playing with the plugins later-on in the chain, but you want to retain as much flexibility as possible. Therefore you bounce everything up to and including the I/O plugin.

760850802_LogicProIdea2.jpg.416cbad19fa183fa64502554d56ca363.jpg

A huge potential benefit of this whole thing is that you can avoid these pesky latency pains. The latency ping is already built into the I/O plugin. No more will you have to manually line up audio from external hardware. No more will you only know what your 50/50 wet/dry hardware knob-performance is *really* going to sound like in the mix after you've corrected phase. 8-)

Record Audio Direct to Track Alternative

Basically what the 'bounce to track alternative' does, but built in as an actual record function. Tick the box, press the key combo, whatever, Logic will send the track's output directly to a temporary (fully hidden and internal) bus, which is written directly to the track alternative. This avoids feedback, keeps your project clean, and avoids making a whole bunch of mouse clicks on something that can be automated.

1147070716_LogicProIdea3.thumb.jpg.1c24a730172ff580c45b926d3bc3263e.jpg

If you like, leave a comment. Also feel free to send to Apple with a link to this forum page. I've done so myself.

Cheers,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one trying to streamline bouncing external gear routing! The I/O plugin is wonderful, especially with the Ping/PIDC feature, but not being able to BIP the results is super frustrating! I know doing a standard export bounce isn't exactly the end of the world, but it seems that the BIP feature is just a few lines of code away from being able to do exactly what we want already!

• 1 month later...
Hi All,

New mode options

1. Realtime

Works just like File > Bounce > Project or Section with 'realtime' selected. Needed to use external hardware of course. e.g, Bouncing out content when using the external instrument plugin with a synth, or when running a track through an external rack unit *with the required latency compensation*. Just try bouncing a single track out through a latency-inducing hardware unit right now and see how many mouse-clicks you need. Just try. :evil:

This x 100.

Please, please give us real-time bounce-in-place. You already have functional real-time bouncing, so why not implement it in BIP? So stupid to have the tech and then not use it. I just bought my first hardware synth and was dumbfounded to find out the BIP tool didn't offer this option. Now I have to route audio manually like a neaderthal.

• 10 months later...
WOW, Logic developers please do this! I Just had this exact thought while comping groups vocals through outboard analog gear and I would love to be able to commit my comp to a new track alternate (in real-time) and choose whether or not to include the IO. I think the added options in the original post would be perfect. What a time saver these simple options would be. Also.. realtime bounce in place is long overdue..