Drums Hit Midi Editor

jimdilian

a better Drum Midi "hit" Editor.. more like Cubase.. one single.. dots'... NOT notes with lengh ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ single midi dots..

like Cubase.. or Fruityloops ..or other programs.. not need for PENCIL.. left Mouse click.. creates notes.. right mouse click erase.. Midi Dots........

SIMPLE ¡

I'm not entirely sure, but this is probably the oldest feature request ever, reaching back to the days when Notator turned into Logic.

Given that, it can be said with absolute certainty that your wish will never be heard. They just don't want a drum editor in the Logic headquarters. Apparently, they even seem to hate it - because there's no technical reason for it not to exist.

This is the thing I miss most about Cubase (Nuendo). It isn't only that it's easier to enter data, it's much easier to read as a drum sheet. For whatever reason, while Piano Roll is great for visualizing melodic information and timing, it just doesn't work for me for drum parts. Have been meaning to get familiar with step editor but it seems like such a convoluted approach.

My workaround is to use the ultrabeat to write patterns and then drag them to the track arrange area (creating new region for the pattern) and then editing in the piano roll.

I totally agree, drum parts are just easier to work with in a dedicated editor. I would even create a map that would only cover the main drum instruments, leaving all the rest of whatever GM compatible maps out (things such as congas, claves and what not), hence not wasting space - which is what working in piano roll also comes down to, as there's always all chromatic notes displayed.

And I also totally agree that Step Edit is no proper equivalent, especially not in LPX (IMO it was a *lot* easier to deal with in previous versions, no idea who told them it would be better as is...).

not need for PENCIL.. left Mouse click.. creates notes.. right mouse click erase..

This functionality already exists in Logic's Piano Roll. If you use the Magic Trackpad, you can simply click in notes by tapping with 3 fingers (there's also an option for Force Click). To erase, I just tap (with three fingers) the notes I want to erase. This only works with the Trackpad though, which works out perfectly for me since I use a Trackpad exclusively, have been ever since I bought my first Mac.

Well, while a trackpad might be a nice thing (I don't have one), drum editing shouldn't be depending on the existence of such a thing.

Sure, just saying though that the functionality is already there for those that own and use a Trackpad. Also, at the end of the day, a trillion dollar company like Apple does whatever the hell they want and they'll include this feature in their own time and on their own terms. They really don't care about what should or shouldn't exist in their software. They're just gonna do what they're gonna do. The best thing you can do is send Feedback Requests for the features you want and then WAIT. Or if you can't wait you can just move on and switch to the DAW(s) that have ALL of the features you like. No point in staying with a DAW if you're just constantly complaining about what it doesn't have.

so I have to buy a Trackpad?? you are kidding right ?

No, I'm not kidding. If you want FL-like functionality (click = create note, right click = erase note) then you have to buy a Trackpad. Or if you're on a Macbook/Pro, you already have a Trackpad built in.

Not too sure why Mac users complain about the prices of Mac accessories. If you have enough money to buy a $2000 Mac to begin with, then you can afford to buy a Trackpad for $129. You could also buy a Trackpad (1st generation) or even Trackpad 2 used for a lot less money.

If you have enough money to buy a $2000 Mac to begin with

To start with, I would never do that.

, then you can afford to buy a Trackpad for $129. You could also buy a Trackpad (1st generation) or even Trackpad 2 used for a lot less money.

Personally, I vastly prefer mice over trackpads.

And even if all that was fine and dandy, a dedicated drum editor would still offer some more advantages.

You can actually can do that with a mouse as well (no trackpad needed). Just set up right click as 'assignable to tool' (preferences>general>editing tab) and assign the eraser tool as your secondary tool. You can also assign right mouse button for a third tool (left click=1, left click+command=2, right click=3) to have draw note, erase note, and velocity (for example).

Not that it will replace a decent drum editor, but it does improve (my) workflow at least.

You can actually can do that with a mouse as well (no trackpad needed). Just set up right click as 'assignable to tool' (preferences>general>editing tab) and assign the eraser tool as your secondary tool. You can also assign right mouse button for a third tool (left click=1, left click+command=2, right click=3) to have draw note, erase note, and velocity (for example).

Hey robinloops, this a cool tip, thanks for sharing :) I just tried it out with a very cheap mouse (that I never use) that came with my large mouse pad... works pretty well with this setup: Left Click = Pencil Tool, Command Click = Pointer Tool, Right Click = Eraser Tool. With that setup you can click (left) to draw in notes, right click to erase notes and hold down Command when you need to quickly select a bunch of notes. You can actually select individual notes or a bunch of notes one by one by holding down Shift with the Pencil Tool as well but it's faster to select with the Pointer Tool.

By the way, about the Velocity Tool, you can actually hold down Command + Control and the Pointer Tool turns into the Velocity Tool, so you actually don't even need to switch to the Velocity Tool at all!

No TrackPad needed, problem solved! :)

• 2 weeks later...

even a simple.. plugin.. has a BETTER way of edit.. DRUMs.. PERCUSSION HIts .. almost 2020.. and logic stills in 1999 in that matter.

one click creates a hit.. one hit erase it.. simple. No need to make note smaller EVER ¡ or larger.. simple.. Points. Hits.595805282_ScreenShot2019-03-27at4_48_58PM.thumb.png.a13d6a1f90951b84510d6ff9a985e7a6.png

even a simple.. plugin.. has a BETTER way of edit.. DRUMs.. PERCUSSION HIts .. almost 2020.. and logic stills in 1999 in that matter.

But as I and robinloops have mentioned, you can ALREADY edit that way in Logic with a little setting up. You don't need a plugin.

Why do you keep insisting that Logic is incapable of this? That Logic is still stuck in 1999 when we've pointed everything out to you?

Did you even read what we wrote?

Because it is. Even if you can set up a "left MB = pencil, right MB = eraser, CMD-click = velocity" arrangement, this is still leaving us with plenty of things to be desired.

In what way? He was referring to the left click/right click Piano Roll specifically. I don't get how or why the solutions robinloops and I have put forward doesn't solve the problem? It's exactly the way it works in FL Studio. I checked it out, in Fl's Piano Roll, you have the Pencil tool as the Left click by default but you can of course switch tools.

I wasn't referring to FL Studio at all. But to a drum editor along the lines of what you find in, say, Cubase. There's no wasted space displaying notes not in use and there's further things you can do, such as channel routings and the likes.

Right, so the thing is, my comment was directed specifically at the Piano Roll drum editing question jimdilian had. Not 1 but TWO people have chimed in with a solution so far.

What's really strange is that he keeps on posting, ragging on Logic and how it sucks, instead of listening/taking the advice robinloops and I have taken time out of our lives to provide to him.

You see, I'm all about SOLUTIONS. If someone provides me with a solution, I try it out and hopefully all is well. But if there is no solution, I simply move on and look for another solution, or I leave things be and accept things as they are, I'll try to find a different way of doing things.

I don't stay in the negative space of constantly complaining about something.

yes you can do that in logic.. "with more clicks.. with cmd.. with.. other "things" and "tricks" ... BUT ..let's be HONEST..

it is not as clear. and Good as ANY other ONE HIT. single midi.. editor for DRUMS or PERCUSION.. no need for longer notes.. "overlaps" etc.-.

and even you can edit.. de velocities.. without Using.. any other.. "pencil tools" or.. "velocity window.. or changing anything Else.. just drag the POINT..

down less velocity Drag the MIDI Point UP higher velocity¡ simple.. for drums.. it is not a PIANO midi editor ¡ it is only for 1 hit. as Drums.. are always 1 single hit.¡

logic pro X is very faraway from that Drum ediitor.. as Cubase .. or even fruityloops.. or even.. third party single.. plugins... it is more Logic.. than the logic pro x way.

anyway. ok.

Cubase's drum editor is far superior to editing drums in piano roll, and hyper editing is far too convoluted to be an efficient alternative but if you want a drum sequencer style editor (as in the photo of the plugin Latin Percussion posted above), just use ultrabeat to make patterns. You can then copy them to regions to control any other drum software. In fact, the pattern editor in Ultrabeat is better than most (pattern editors) I've used.

IN_S0397_SeqFullView2.png.8e8f26198d14d78756a758ec784e4888.png

I know that .. from Ultrabeat.. but I cannot use.. better Drums sound... like from.. BFD3 or SD3. even if they both come with that

TYPE of midi editor.. is better to have it in the DAW. but.. I don't understand Logic Pro X apple theme. sometimes. for midi Drums.. editing..

nothing like a the editors.. of what I am asking. not PIANO MIDI notes.. even with the "new" BRUSH tool. it is not very good. for DRUMS. as the logic aproach that everybody else does.