Instead of VEPro how about allowing to run multiple instances of Logic Pro X

Instead of VEPro, I'd rather Apple allow multiple instances of Logic Pro X on the same computer.

Since I'm already use to Logic Pro X, there's no need to learn new software like VEPro.

Logic already has a sync function to act at a slave and it can also act as a master too.

I'd rather see that in the future for Logic Pro X.

This video shows that it's possible.

I don't know how you rigged that up, but we did pretty much exactly that like 16(?) years ago to a) get around the 4Gb RAM limit which back then prevented efficient use of the then new orchestral libraries like VSL and b) set up a master-slave system with the slave(s) always fully loaded with instruments, so virtually no load times when switching cues which contained just MIDI. All on one computer.

It was doable, but incredibly fussy, and - most of all - the CPU hit was so insane it was just not worth it.

This is the downside of all distributed-load solutions, everything is considered live and has to be processed in realtime.

I don't know how you rigged that up, but we did pretty much exactly that like 16(?) years ago to a) get around the 4Gb RAM limit which back then prevented efficient use of the then new orchestral libraries like VSL and b) set up a master-slave system with the slave(s) always fully loaded with instruments, so virtually no load times when switching cues which contained just MIDI. All on one computer.

It was doable, but incredibly fussy, and - most of all - the CPU hit was so insane it was just not worth it.

This is the downside of all distributed-load solutions, everything is considered live and has to be processed in realtime.

If you have the hardware to run everything you can do that. Not sure what technology was like back 16 years ago, but I'm pretty sure things have progressed. :mrgreen:

Nobody creates a song with everything in it at once, it's a build process. Cellos here, Violias here, Horns here, etc...

So while you're creating you song you monitor the CPU, if your getting close to the limit, notice how my setup is. Each is a separate Logic Pro X project, go to your slave project, uncheck the sync button, now it's a master project. Do your tweaks, automation, adding effects, etc.. then render to audio. Just unload that slave Logic project, bring that audio into your master and click play, it's as if the slave project was still loaded.

With that slave project unloaded, now you just free'd up your CPU/Memory to continue with your song creation.

Need to go back, mute that rendered audio and just start that slave Logic Project and press play on your master project, now you can make further modifications.

The other thing is if you have different orchestra libraries, create separate projects with let's say one project has horns from EastWets, then create another project with horns from SpitFire.

Start and load the EastWest project, click play on the master project. Doesn't sound good, unload that project and start the SpitFire project.

This is a pretty flexible system where if you have the hardware, run everything, if you don't, do whet they suggest to do and that's freeze tracks or in this case freeze a project.

Again, VEPro does the same thing, I'm just suggesting that instead of having to purchase VEPro, just start another instance of Logic.

That's neat. I guess you renamed the Logic copies to Logic A, B, etc. on the surface and also somewhere in the guts so they're actually different processes, right ? Do these have their own preference files or do they overwrite each other ? Oh, and you're using a trackball, right ?

So you're not hosting all the notes in the master project like in the classic master/slave concept, you're 'just' syncing the various copies to the master. That takes away much of the realtime load, but at the same time requires the slave projects to be saved and loaded as well.

So I did another test and when this flag is set to true

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/bundleresources/information_property_list/lsmultipleinstancesprohibited?language=objc

You can't run multiple instances of the application, namely Logic Pro X.

But after another test, when set to false, you can run multiple instances of "same"Logic Pro X, no need to create the setup I have.

I think I know why the Logic developers aren't allow this and that's because the settings are going to be shared across the multiple instances and that could lead to corrupt files.

Then I accidentally with the setup I created, figured out that my setup can have each of the Logic Pro instances can have and save their own settings.

That's why you see my master not have the "sync" button but my slaves have the "sync" buttons, each instances has their own settings.

I did a further update to my system and now if I save the slave projects and click on them to open them, the slave it got save from, that project will open up with that slave.

Wow, that's kind of cool.

But button line, I'm still testing this and so far on the same computer, a master - slave(s) work just fine. So still no need to purchase VEPro.

So yes, it is just that flag.

So one thing comes to mind and that's surface controllers.

I have LP Touch and when it wants to connect, it looks for the host to connect to, if Logic Pro X was to run multiple instances, then programs like LP Touch would have look to connect to a specific running instance of Logic Pro X.