Mixer Scene Saving

Loving Logic Pro X. Having moved over from a Roland VS2480 one function that I really miss is being able to save different mixes with the project. The VS2480 allowed you to save numerous mixes within the project which could be recalled at the touch of a button. I appreciate that each mix can be saved as a separate project but then if you make any edits or change anything else within one of the projects this would not be done to the other alternative mix projects.

So, just some way of saving alternative mixes within a project that can be recalled at the touch (or click) of a button.

Ian

Project Alternatives

Save your project, make a new alternative, name as appropriate, rinse and repeat...

Project Alternatives and Backups

When Show Advanced Tools is selected in the Advanced preferences pane, you can create alternative versions of a project, each with a unique name and different settings. Project alternatives let you save “snapshots” of a project in different states, including different cuts or mixes. They’re saved as part of the project and share the same assets. Alternatives for the current project appear in the File > Project Alternatives submenu.

Backups let you go back to earlier saved versions of a project. Each time you save a project using the File > Save menu item (or pressing Command-S), a version of the current project alternative is saved (up to ten backups per alternative). In the Project > Revert to submenu, backups for the current alternative are listed in descending order from newest to oldest.

So if a save a project alternative to capture a mix and then add a track to the project, is it added to all the alternatives?

No, it won't be in the tracks area in "earlier" alternatives. It will be in Project Audio.

You would open an alternative and add the track from Project Audio.

So it’s not really what I’m suggesting there should be. One project that you save mixer settings as Scenes. That way anything you change, add, edit is within the one project along with a number of mixers. Each can then be recalled in the one project rather than having a number of alternative projects. I always found it a really useful function on the Roland VS2480.

Ian

• 1 year later...
Would love to see this in Logic. Changing alternatives means reloading all instruments which is time consuming. Would be great to be able to save mixer 'scenes'. It would be great not just toward the end of a project when focus is more on mixing, but at earlier stages as well when the writing flow is really interrupted by changing Alternatives.
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
Could also be helpful for switching between recording and playback workflows. I'm re-amping guitars and having to manually change settings every time I go from recording to playback. Perhaps some clever bussing would help but I'm still a bit of a novice/hobbyist.

• 9 months later...
On 12/11/2021 at 4:15 PM, su66s said:

Could also be helpful for switching between recording and playback workflows. 

Logic needs what Studio One has which is snap shot recalls.  Project alternatives are great, automation is a given, but as it's been pointed out ... it doesn't allow for a glitchless transition to a different mixer state.

With DAWs increasing being used as live stream mixers, the need for basic scene recall like hardware digital consoles have becomes a necessity.

I've been waiting for this in Logic forever.  It's why I had to buy/learn Studio One while still using Logic as my main DAW.