Set Region/Track Delay Option To Milliseconds Only

the sinner

Hi Atlas.

You are correct that disabling musical grid switches the setting from ticks to milliseconds but than you lose access to bars and beats which is far worse.

The modifier keys do nothing of the sort I'm afraid.

I don't know why they ever switched this to begin with. The majority of small timing things (latency from plugins, latency from legato samples, nudge values) have always been in displayed milliseconds by developers).

After checking what we have in v.10.4.8:

• -The Region Delay parameter is presented as note-length/ticks/ms when the musical grid is enabled, which dynamically recalculate according to the current tempo; and reverses that units display order when the musical grid is disabled.
  • The Track Delay parameter is always presented in ms (with in/decrement tenth of ms), regardless of the musical grid setting.

I think that is an optimal and Logical implementation, since one gets both displays at once, and a contextual (note-length/ticks/ms) conversion in realtime.

To make good use of same is just a matter of workflow adaptation...

After checking what we have in v.10.4.8:

• -The Region Delay parameter is presented as note-length/ticks/ms when the musical grid is enabled, which dynamically recalculate according to the current tempo; and reverses that units display order when the musical grid is disabled.
  • The Track Delay parameter is always presented in ms (with in/decrement tenth of ms), regardless of the musical grid setting.

I think that is an optimal and Logical implementation, since one gets both displays at once, and a contextual (note-length/ticks/ms) conversion in realtime.

To make good use of same is just a matter of workflow adaptation...

The reason is this is objectionable is composers who use legato transition samples are used to calculating how late the second note of a quantized note value speaks.

It is usually a fixed amount of 30-35 ms but it varies according to the range of the instrument. So the workflow is usually quantize; region offset; play and listen and adjust more or less

Track delay is useless, for it offsets precise things like short notes as well, it also offsets the first note which may be precisely on the grid

Thirdly all media composers use bars and beats

Since you are dealing with variations at the note events level, I dont understand your need to deal with regions. Instead, you could put those legato notes in a different track with the required (ms-only) delay adjustment. If desired, grouping your track in stack(s) can be used to simpllify/organize the tracks layout by instrument (and/or assignment).

Alternately, if you have too many different delay variations to deal with, perhaps you should consider working in the Event List editor instead.

Besides, one could display both rulers (smpte/time and musical grid) as explained in this

If I am working on a track with keyswitches for short notes and I keyswitch to Legato I only need to offset that region

If I offset the entirety of the track my shorts will be obviously early.

Also making separate tracks in unwise because for many of us we are already at 200-500 tracks just based on instrument selection (Piano, Glock, Violin 1, Udu etc..)