A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

Ploki
Topic Author

FX Chains like in studio one

Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:40 am

Basically, a smart-control wrapped, macro-capable channel strip, but insertable as a single slot in inserts.

you could reuse current smart-control configured channel strips, or make new strips with 3rd party plugs...
it would be beautiful.

How is this different than current implementation?

Well i.e., i have a nice channel strip with everything i need accessible from Smart Controls.
Then I need to ADD or REMOVE a plugin - everything falls apart.
Want to add that strip after you already made some changes to the current strip?
Make a new strip, copy everything from the old one over, have your signal flow screwed... etc.
<desktop pending> | 13" M1 Pro | Big Sur 11.1 | Logic 10.6.1
RME FireFace 800 / UFX+ | ROLI Seaboard RISE 25 | ROLI Blocks | nOb Control | StreamDeck

Atlas007

Re: FX Chains like in studio one

Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:03 pm

Ploki wrote:
Basically, a smart-control wrapped, macro-capable channel strip, but insertable as a single slot in inserts.
How about using the I/O utility plugin? (might need to use with an interapp driver like SoundFlower or Blackhole)

Ploki wrote:
you could reuse current smart-control configured channel strips, or make new strips with 3rd party plugs...
it would be beautiful.
Patches nomally integrate the Smart Control...

Ploki wrote:
How is this different than current implementation?

Well i.e., i have a nice channel strip with everything i need accessible from Smart Controls.
Then I need to ADD or REMOVE a plugin - everything falls apart.
I think that is due to the fact that controlling data is performed by fader events (instead of CC). Those fader event being assigned according to the slot location.

Ploki wrote:
Want to add that strip after you already made some changes to the current strip?
Make a new strip, copy everything from the old one over, have your signal flow screwed... etc.
That is indeed an inherent limitation of the Logic design. But I guess that some planning could alleviate partly such short coming.
LogicPro 10.6.1 ( & 9.1.8),MainStage3.5.1
MBPro 17", Core2Duo, 8G, OSX 10.12.6
MacPro, Xeon 6Cores, 64GB, OSX 10.15.7
ULN8, MOTU MIDI TP-AV, C4, MCU Pro, KorgNano, Novation SLMkII
AAS, NI, Celemony, Spectrasonics, Korg, etc...
PC, iPad3(V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL), Several vintage gear

Ploki
Topic Author

Re: FX Chains like in studio one

Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:50 pm

Atlas007 wrote:
How about using the I/O utility plugin? (might need to use with an interapp driver like SoundFlower or Blackhole)

that's horribly convoluted - point here is to work faster with easy recall.
Atlas007 wrote:
Patches nomally integrate the Smart Control...

Atlas007 wrote:
I think that is due to the fact that controlling data is performed by fader events (instead of CC). Those fader event being assigned according to the slot location.

maybe, but if it were self-contained it wouldn't be an issue.

Atlas007 wrote:
That is indeed an inherent limitation of the Logic design. But I guess that some planning could alleviate partly such short coming.
[/quote]
I mean, Reaper has it, Presonus has it.
see video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSOYWIthkiY

i.e. you could make a smart-control wrapped "guitar amp" but you could build it from your own drive, your own IR loader, EQ-bias, etc, all with smart control interface that would control multiple parameters underneath the Smart Controls GUI.
so exactly like smart control channel strip, except it could be loaded as a separate INSERT PROCESSOR, not as a channel strip.

i'd PAY for such functionality, 100$ :D
or like this:
https://www.waves.com/plugins/studiorack

the beauty of it is that you could load existing smart-control channel strips as "insert FX"... so you have a great starting point already. it would be so cool
<desktop pending> | 13" M1 Pro | Big Sur 11.1 | Logic 10.6.1
RME FireFace 800 / UFX+ | ROLI Seaboard RISE 25 | ROLI Blocks | nOb Control | StreamDeck