Feature selected track(s) by dimming the rest

Musiqman

I saw a 14 year old thread that complained about this... Still don't have it.

I need to "feature" a track while hearing the other tracks at a dimmed level. Shouldn't be too hard to give it to us. Ask MOTU how they did it with DP a long time ago. Yes, you can subgroup but come on, not exactly an elegant solution.

I need to "feature" a track while hearing the other tracks at a dimmed level. Shouldn't be too hard to give it to us. Ask MOTU how they did it with DP a long time ago. Yes, you can subgroup but come on, not exactly an elegant solution.

This to me about sums it up as far as user's feature requests go.

Just because something was mentioned (once?) long ago does not make it a necessity.

I need to "feature" a track while hearing the other tracks at a dimmed level.

That may well be. But given that not many others ask for this (I may have seen it come up like three times in ten years on this forum) , it may turn out there's not such a high demand for this feature as you may think.

Shouldn't be too hard to give it to us.

How on earth would you know ? Look, I actually agree that it would be nice to have. But if it's there, the next post will be "How am I supposed to use it in a tracking or live situation when it actually dims all but one channels going on air? Are they nuts ?". So it seems this would need an entirely new and separate audio layer, feeding all channels and their busses and sends into what we might call Monitor layer, so we can properly PFL, AFL, SIP and DIM all but the selected channels, complete with their respective Send levels, but not changing the Sends that feed musician's headphones and the FX levels that they can hear, but then these FX levels at the same time do need to change in our monitors. etc.etc. Can you begin to see how it actually is hard ?

Ask MOTU how they did it with DP a long time ago

It's not that it can't be done, or Apple have no idea how to implement it. There's actually a bunch of smart people over there.

In the end, the user- and marketing-benefits of a feature with that objectively small demand might just not be worth the engineering effort that is needed to implement it in a way that is satisfactory for all parties involved.