DESIGN FLAW: Joining midi regions that has equal delay compensation will move the actual midi data

snattack

My hands are tied here.

So I'm using Vienna Ensemble Pro the way I should: as a multi timbral instrument. This is to save resources since Kontakt takes up a lot. But Logic contains so much problems in this regard that I will open a separate thread about this.

Anyhow: Having two midi regions with equal delay compensation joined together should not move the midi data, it should instead transfer the same value to the field in the inspector. Now, when I have two separate delay compensated regions on a track, joining them together moves the notes screwing with the quantize settings. Currently, the only way is to first remove the delay, then join, then re-add the delay again.

We're forced to use the region delay because of a bug where delay on aux channels are randomly ignored. So – we can't use multi timbral instruments the way they should because of a bug. And the only workaround creates so much work that it's almost not worth it.

System: Macbook Pro 16", 64GB RAM, macOS Catalina 10.15.7.

Software Version: Logic Pro 10.6.2

You are correct. When working with strings you have to use negative delay to compensate for the slow attack. Each time I copy/paste/merge regions the region delay setting is reseted but the delay ”printed” into the midi notes which is not what I want.

• 2 years later...

ANy update to this original issue? I have the same issue and here's where it sucks....When I go to transcribe the score. The score within Logic gives a myriad of issues if you have more than one consistent region. The reasdon why I have more than one region is to give delay compensation. For example, If I use Staccato or Spiccato or even Marcato articulations then I only need about -50 delay compensation...However, on lush legato or portamento legato strings it requires closer to -250/-300 delay and if I try to merge these regions then the delay compensation dissapears. SO, the work around WAS to keep multi regions open and select all to print the score...However, especially on Viola the lower registered notes split into two staves which is annoying for the players...SO, the only work around for it is to merge the regions into 1. Boom! My stave issue is corrected...however, all of my delay info is erased along with any quantization that I had in the multi regions. Please let me know if there is a fix or is this all we have? Thanks in advance