When will Logic Pro get 32 bit WAV file support?

WLouisMusic

will Logic ever get this feature?

Well, who knows.

It couldn't possibly be that hard to implement right?

Very hard to guess unless you are a programmer, and even then, you have zero idea of their priority list.

In the meantime, you can use a free audio editor with batch functionality, like Audacity, convert those files to 24bit and keep going.

Edited by fuzzfilth

Are you talking about 32-bit fixed point files, or 32-float files?

What possible dynamic range could your samples possibly be using to *require* 32-bit fixed point files?

The short answer is that bigger numbers does not inherently mean "better". If you can give me a good reason why you should deliver samples in any 32-bit format, I'd be interested to know what that is.

Also: adding a feature to software is almost never just issue of how hard it is to implement.

What possible dynamic range could your samples possibly be using to *require* 32-bit fixed point files?

The short answer is that bigger numbers does not inherently mean "better". If you can give me a good reason why you should deliver samples in any 32-bit format, I'd be interested to know what that is.

Also: adding a feature to software is almost never just issue of how hard it is to implement.

I really do not care for it but a lot of people use it and most DAWS default to 32bit float.

so I always get 32bit sessions from Protools and other DAW users. We also swap files in our studio and I do not want to convert those files to 24bit.

And recently most sample packs come with 32bit float samples. I guess because most made in Ableton Live which defaults to 32bit float.

You can not even audition 32bit files in Logic browser.

AFAIK Logic is the only DAW that still does not have support for it. What is strange is, even 24bit is optional with a check box. Otherwise it is 16bit. It feels like 90s :)

So for me mostly it is needed for compatibility and browse the content I purchase without using a 3rd party tool.

I really do not care for it but a lot of people use it and most DAWS default to 32bit float.

There's a *lot* difference between 32-fixed and 32-float though.

so I always get 32bit sessions from Protools and other DAW users. We also swap files in our studio and I do not want to convert those files to 24bit.

You know 32-bit float files only contain 24-bits of actual audio data?

So for me mostly it is needed for compatibility and browse the content I purchase without using a 3rd party tool.

Ok, I can see how this would be inconvenient. I'm very surprised that some people are distributing samples as 32-float files though. That seems wasteful of space (and bandwidth), lazy, and for no real benefit.

Well I was having some issues with the samples, most wouldn't play in the media window, some wouldn't drag in properly, and if they did work they would create a duplicate file in the sample pack with "-24b" on the end. I was thinking about converting them all but I realise that could take days or even weeks to complete all of them.

I filed a bug report asking for this about 3 years ago, when I noticed that Logic converts imported 32 bit files to a "-24b" version on import.

No response from Apple, and obviously no fix.

It is true that 32 bit file support is beyond the needs of most users; I requested it because I wanted the choice of using Logic as a proper mastering DAW. In that case, Logic needs to be able to import 32 bit files without altering them.

Weeks ? I'd guess that even an audiobook of the complete edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica would be completed in mere hours if you set off a batch process in Audacity.

All of the samples are in their own subfolders, about 60gb worth, mixed in with a few 24 bit ones. I just don't have that much time to set aside to complete that kind of huge task

• 1 month later...

I already send a feedback 2 or more years ago to Apple Support.

This is really annoying because I want to use the my samples in the library in Logic Pro X, but the problem is I can't playback 32 Bit files.

That forces me to use Finder and that slowdown my workflow.

I really don't know why Apple don't solve this problem.

Yea it’s a real bummer. Hopefully in a future update soon, when Apple focuses less on gimmicky features like dolby surround mixing (I know it’s not gimmicky but 99% of the user base has never used it or needed to) they can focus on quality of life improvements like 32 bit wav support, hardware optimisations etc.

Not sure if you understand,

Actually a LOT of people use 32-bit wav files, and even though there is no audible difference, many sample packs and samples are this type.

And for the 99%, this isn’t a confirmed number but I can say for sure that there are not a lot of people who use dolby atmos mixing in logic. Far less than the amount who want logic to become like every other daw and allow for 32 bit unaltered file imports.

I can say for sure that there are not a lot of people who use dolby atmos mixing in logic. Far less than the amount who want logic to become like every other daw and allow for 32 bit unaltered file imports.

Again, without any source, that's just a guess, which thus is as good as mine. Not trying to get into an argument here, but I'm convinced that substantiated research data about feasibility, customer demand and growth potential weighs more than an even educated guess. Report your wish to Apple and let them collect this data.

• 5 months later...
On 12/10/2021 at 3:01 PM, des99 said:

The benefits of recording 32-bit float are obvious: no requirement to set gain when recording as you're able to do so in post given the recording has more dynamic range than is possible to use.

Once you've established that there's value in recording in 32-bit float, there's obvious advantage to a workflow that doesn't require you to bounce all of your 32-bit wavs to 24-bit in another application before you import them into Logic. 

Edited by Denarius

6 hours ago, Denarius said:

no requirement to set gain when recording as you're able to do so in post

I'm really curious how you fix a distorted kick drum recording where you ignored the signal slamming the needle on the AD, or how you are able to track a quiet singer through an SM7, including a halfway decent headphone mix, without touching the gain knob. I really am.

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Denarius said:

no requirement to set gain

Of course you need to set gain so you don't get any clipping right at the input, and to use the dynamic range of your audio interface's AD converter as good as possible. No recording audio file format will save you from that. Record in 24 bit, leave roughly 12 dB of headroom, and you still have 132dB (theoretical - mind you that above mentioned AD converters may provide less: An Apogee Symphony I/O which surely isn't a bad interface has 122dB for example) dynamic range, which is more than enough for both your ears and your audio hardware. Recording in 32bit format has little to no advantages.

Edited by polanoid

9 hours ago, Denarius said:

The benefits of recording 32-bit float are obvious: no requirement to set gain when recording as you're able to do so in post given the recording has more dynamic range than is possible to use.

This would require 32 bit converters. When using 24 bit A/D converters, you need to adjust your recording level to avoid clipping the A/D converters before the digital signal is routed to the computer and stored in a digital audio file. 

• Like 1