Track Stack nesting

claesbjo

• 2 weeks later...

+1

I got really dissappointed when I tried that and it just wouldn't work. I read some other posts from guys saying it worked if you created a track stack outside of the other track stack and then dragged it in, but for me it doesn't work. Maybe that was a bug from the earlier version(which I didn't have)? Maybe it somehow messes up the "smart control" function on the "host" track stack? Either way, they just fix it for full control! :|

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow, it turns out you are right. Great, I'll definitely be doing this!

My only regret is that you evidently can only do this once (for instance, you can't seem to have three layers of track stacks at once). Correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

Apart from later adding the ability to have more than two layers, hopefully we can do this with summing tracks as well.

But apart from that, thank you for pointing this out! Now that you've mentioned it, the action seems so simple.

Hmm... Strange. I tried this out earlier, and it worked. Now, in a new project, I'm unable to put the summing track into the Folder Stack. When I try to drag it in, it just bounces right out.

How did you get this to work?

You need to create the sum track stack INSIDE the folder track stack. From tracks that are already present there.

Yeah, cool it actually works. Although in this case I consider this a bug since you should to be able to move summing tracks around as you would with normal tracks, some tracks are "summing tracks" from the start, it makes no sense not being able to just drag it in? oh and I hope that in the next update logic manage to fix so track stacks could be nested infinitely, both folder and summing!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a simple demo of nesting folder tracks

http://quick.as/mdj3tn7e

The end of it shows that it's not very flexible (i.e. can't drag a folder onto an empty folder and expect it to nest, etc), that you can't nest summing stacks, etc. Still it's a great start and can make projects a lot tidier. Probably about as much as they can do before it makes sense to refactor Logic's audio routing.

This is cool but I want to do it with Folder Stacks…. :/

Here's a simple demo of nesting folder tracks

http://quick.as/mdj3tn7e

The end of it shows that it's not very flexible (i.e. can't drag a folder onto an empty folder and expect it to nest, etc), that you can't nest summing stacks, etc. Still it's a great start and can make projects a lot tidier. Probably about as much as they can do before it makes sense to refactor Logic's audio routing.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

this is usefull but what it might be even more powerfull is the capability to nest summing track stacks

that way we can add pluggings in groups

examples

drums buss as the main summing stack (with GAIN,EQ,COMPRESSOR)

--nested Snare (with EQ)

---track snare botom

---track Snare Top

---track Paralel Snare Top

--Nested Toms (with gain and gate)

Track tom 1

Track tom 2

Track tom 3

--Nested Cymbals (EQ,Compressor)

---Track Overhead Left

---Track Overhead right

---Track high-hat

at this point, using folder stack does not allow us to add prossesing capabilities to the groups. as an overal group

• 3 months later...
this is usefull but what it might be even more powerfull is the capability to nest summing track stacks

that way we can add pluggings in groups

examples

drums buss as the main summing stack (with GAIN,EQ,COMPRESSOR)

--nested Snare (with EQ)

---track snare botom

---track Snare Top

---track Paralel Snare Top

--Nested Toms (with gain and gate)

Track tom 1

Track tom 2

Track tom 3

--Nested Cymbals (EQ,Compressor)

---Track Overhead Left

---Track Overhead right

---Track high-hat

at this point, using folder stack does not allow us to add prossesing capabilities to the groups. as an overal group

Absolutely I was trying to play with that and thought the same thing. For me now I just send that stack to it own bus. Like for this example Drums but yes that would be awesome!

• 2 years later...

+1.

There are frequent scenarios where you want multi-mic stacks to sit inside sub-group stacks.

Or e.g multilayerd kick stack that sits inside the DRUMS subgroup stack.

Stacks are combination bus routing and folder organisation.

One just needs to look at Ableton's implementation to see it done awesomely.