Power Button (On/Off) Should Load/Unload Samples

Most of other DAW already have this feature and I tried Cubase lately to realise that this is a super handy feature especially for people with more modest computer and to be honest, it's an intelligent feature and I do hope Apple get their act together and add this so we can finally have big template ready to go!

Yves

Most of other DAW already have this feature and I tried Cubase lately to realise that this is a super handy feature especially for people with more modest computer and to be honest, it's an intelligent feature and I do hope Apple get their act together and add this so we can finally have big template ready to go!

Yves

No matter with which DAW, the best solution for large templates IMHO is still Vienna Ensemble Pro as a secondary host.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Good day! Something has changed in new updates on this issue? It would really help to create a great template for everything. And would reduce a lot of time. Or help how to create a big template in logic Pro if not VEPro and 16GB of RAM.

Sadly, no improvements in this, even with all the Logic updates. Apple seems more interested in adding more "personalities" to Drummer (which many people never use) than addressing core functionality issues of CPU/memory usage and efficiency.

• 2 months later...
Pretty sure I understand the idea here, and it sounds like a really useful function that I could use as well. But not too sure how to word it in a Logic feedback submission on Apple's site. If anyone has a suggestion on a common description we could all submit to Apple as a feature request (or other feedback type?), that might help move along the process.

There is a simple solution to express it to the logic team. Just look up a feature description from the manual of Studio One, reaper, cubendo and dp. Understand their feature implementation and come up with a usability concept how it could be implemented in logic. And no it doesn’t work to write in a response “please make it like Cubase or Studio One”.

I think it’s better to come up with an idea and express it. If you can create a mock-up and post it here and maybe link to it via the logic feedback form.

Just an idea.

One of several ways to do something similar would be to offer two freeze functions: one which is just like the solution we have now, and another where Logic could freeze and unload samples. 

Since Cubase already can do that (with Kontakt samples), Logic should be able to do it as well -no?

Maybe there's a way (for Logic) to remote activate Kontakt's built in way to unload it's sample?

I have requested this feature twice :P I will be abandoning Logic for Cubase in the near future if this feature is not implemented as I am working with larger templates now and buying another machine plus Vienna Ensemble Pro is not cost effective - it is overkill for my requirements. 

Good luck all.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

What I do is turn Virtual instrument into audio. Do a SAVE Channel Strip as, (I put channel strips in a folder for that song). Then I reset channel strip. If I need it back, recall channel strip and everything is the same.

An issue with Freezing tracks is it's 32 bit mode. If you're project becomes corrupt. (and the larger it gets, the possibility of curruption creeping in. Logic can't load in Frozen tracks. (or at least it didn't, I haven't looked in a while.

Just muting the virtual instrument doesn't save power, you have to delete it.

• 4 weeks later...

"Just muting the virtual instrument doesn't save power, you have to delete it."

After the release of 10.4.6, turning off a virtual instrument while pressing the alt/option key, the memory the instrument uses (sample memory and Kontakt memory) will be cleared as well. Also - since the same version, freezing a VI track also means that it won't use the memory it used before freezing, because freezing also frees up memory now.