Kill Automatic MIDI Track Record-Enable

Hello, all -

Why do MIDI tracks automatically become record-enabled when selected? This behaviour is a potential disaster during a session. This also makes it impossible to adjust parameters for another track in the midst of recording to a different track.

This behaviour is also completely inconsistent, as audio tracks do not become record-enabled when selected.

There should be a Preference for this, so that one could disable the automaticity. Or does anyone know how to kill this "feature"?

Thank you for any guidance....

Why do MIDI tracks automatically become record-enabled when selected?

So that they can instantly respond to MIDI input. They enter what's called "Live Mode".

This behaviour is a potential disaster during a session. This also makes it impossible to adjust parameters for another track in the midst of recording to a different track.

Can you explain what's the potential "potential disaster" here?

I can adjust parameters on other tracks just fine here....what do you mean?

There should be a Preference for this, so that one could disable the automaticity. Or does anyone know how to kill this "feature"?

I agree there should be a preference to at least turn this off, but because entering Live Mode means that the selected software instrument track will only use a single core.

In my opinion, the best they could do is to make Live mode take advantage of all your processor's cores, instead of just one.

J.

J -

Thank you for the reply.

I supposed I would like the option of a "Dead Mode" then. I want to manually select where the MIDI is going. This becomes an issue where one track is "live" and someone is playing through it, and, for example, I want to edit parameters in the inspector of another track. To do this, I select the desired track, which then automatically goes into record-enabled ("live") mode, and suddenly the live MIDI from the musician is being routed to that track (a potential musical disaster, although generally not life-threatening, unless said musician has a violent reaction to having their vibe killed).

There should be a way to turn off the automatic live routing. Perhaps others find this useful, but it at least should be a preference.

Best regards.

I supposed I would like the option of a "Dead Mode" then. I want to manually select where the MIDI is going. This becomes an issue where one track is "live" and someone is playing through it, and, for example, I want to edit parameters in the inspector of another track. To do this, I select the desired track, which then automatically goes into record-enabled ("live") mode, and suddenly the live MIDI from the musician is being routed to that track (a potential musical disaster, although generally not life-threatening, unless said musician has a violent reaction to having their vibe killed).

There should be a way to turn off the automatic live routing. Perhaps others find this useful, but it at least should be a preference.

I think you're misunderstanding what Live Mode is...it actually has little to do with the issue you're having. To address that situation, you should use multiplayer mode:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32201

Or, simply set your inspector parameters before or after recording.

J.

I think you're misunderstanding what Live Mode is...it actually has little to do with the issue you're having. To address that situation, you should use multiplayer mode:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32201

Or, simply set your inspector parameters before or after recording.

J.

I don't see how Multi- Player Mode will address this feature request. Even in that mode, selecting another track automatically record-arms that track. That's the behaviour I want to avoid. The point is that I wish to be able to do other things on different tracks in the project while live MIDI is playing, and not risk having the the MIDI re-routed while I am doing so. It's not just inspector parameter, it's editing of plugins on other tracks, changing presets on other tracks, etc etc. When multiple people are in the studio and we are working fast and in the flow, I don't want to interrupt other players to do those other tasks. It should be possible to do this.

Best regards.

I don't see how Multi- Player Mode will address this feature request. Even in that mode, selecting another track automatically record-arms that track. That's the behaviour I want to avoid.

So even if selecting the new track doesn't route the other performers MIDI into that track is not good for you? You're basically against the track getting record-enabled and nothing else?

The point is that I wish to be able to do other things on different tracks in the project while live MIDI is playing, and not risk having the the MIDI re-routed while I am doing so. It's not just inspector parameter, it's editing of plugins on other tracks, changing presets on other tracks, etc etc. When multiple people are in the studio and we are working fast and in the flow, I don't want to interrupt other players to do those other tasks. It should be possible to do this.

You do not need to select a track to do any of the things you've listed, with the exception of seeing a particular track's inspector.

J.

So even if selecting the new track doesn't route the other performers MIDI into that track is not good for you? You're basically against the track getting record-enabled and nothing else? .

You're fast! Well, first of all, I don't usually want to have to set up Multi-record mode and deal with MIDI channels. Often it's just two of us at a time in the studio, one at the computer, one at the toys (keyboards, drum triggers, etc). So I'd rather keep everything set to global MIDI channels and not worry about it.

Beyond that, at the times when there are multiple players, there's still a chance that I forget about some device's channel or someone goes to a device that shares the same channel, etc. o yes, essentially I want to avoid any risk even in that circumstance of spurious MIDI data going on to that track. So yes, I want to the decision to select a track and the decision to record-arm a track to be two totally separate decisions and functions.

You do not need to select a track to do any of the things you've listed, with the exception of seeing a particular track's inspector.

J.

You mean to do all the other changes from the Mixer, I assume? I guess I am so used to doing everything for a track in the Channel Strip view of the Inspector that I prefer that, all the editables in one place. Even if I do go to that track's channel strip in the MIxer, I usually find it by selecting the track in the Arrange window and letting Logic's mixer scroll to that channel strip. Or I jump to it by using Select on the Mackie Control, which again moves to the track. Both those approaches, of course, lead to the record-arming that I wish to avoid.

Anyway, I would imagine this is a technically simple feature to implement, basically just disabling the default behavior as a preference. Perhaps others don't find it useful, but the default behavior often throws me when I am coming back from working in other DAWs.

Best regards.

• 1 year later...
i agree that this automatic arming of selected tracks is counter productive and only slows down the session, as it's one more thing to look out for. Terrible feature. "Oh wait a minute, that great track you laid down last time has now been recorded over." I know we can undo, but that means undoing the track we meant to record onto as well.

• 1 month later...
i agree that this automatic arming of selected tracks is counter productive and only slows down the session, as it's one more thing to look out for. Terrible feature. "Oh wait a minute, that great track you laid down last time has now been recorded over." I know we can undo, but that means undoing the track we meant to record onto as well.

Agree. A selected track that goes into live mode. Fair enough. Fine feature. But live mode should NOT be rec arm mode. The record arming situation in LX is a disaster. If you have more tracks than you can see in the tracks window you have to check if any tracks are accidently armed before recording. Or at least i need to do that because i have lost too many things by accidently recording over them. Something that never happened in L9. It's A total workflow killer. A track should NEVER arm itself

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Another reason why this is important:

Virtual instrument tracks, when selected, are thus automatically armed in "live mode". Some instruments will cause crackling, stutters, I/O overloads, etc. when in this mode (especially at lower buffer sizes).

I frequently edit the plugin parameters of a channel strip while he track is playing, so must be able to select it. However, this becomes quite a challenge when the project starts breaking up while playing....

Not sure if the "live mode" of virtual instruments is actually an entirely separate issue. Even manually turning off the red Record "R" button on the track does not take it out of live mode, and thus does not prevent the overloads.

Hi,

I frequently edit the plugin parameters of a channel strip while he track is playing, so must be able to select it.

It's not necessary to select a channel strip to edit the parameters of its plug-ins.

J.

J -

Thank you for the reply. However, how does one then open the plugins, or instantiate different plugins?

I also want to be able to try out the presets from the Library browser for the plugins, and as far as I know, this can only be done by selecting the plugin in the Channel Strip.

Also, I adjust volume, pan, send levels, etc from the channel strip while the track is playing.

Is there another way to do all this that avoids the problem?

Regards.

Thank you for the reply. However, how does one then open the plugins, or instantiate different plugins?

You're welcome. You can both open and instantiate plug-ins without ever selecting a channel strip first...have you tried it?

I also want to be able to try out the presets from the Library browser for the plugins, and as far as I know, this can only be done by selecting the plugin in the Channel Strip.

The Library works based on context, so in that case you do need to select the channel strip that has the plug-ins whose settings you want to browse in the Library pane.

Also, I adjust volume, pan, send levels, etc from the channel strip while the track is playing.

Is there another way to do all this that avoids the problem?

Again, you don't need to select the channel strip first to do any of those things, but I do agree it shouldn't be something that creates the problems discussed in this thread.

J.

Again, you don't need to select the channel strip first to do any of those things, but I do agree it shouldn't be something that creates the problems discussed in this thread.

J.

Dear Jordi,

Do you mean by doing those actions in the Mixer?

(I usually like to do those in the Channel Strip in the info panel at left rather than leave the Mixer open)

Best regards.

• 1 month later...

I hate the auto enable feature.. Often I want to go to a midi track and adjust some parmeters.. or go to it's event editor list, where I put a number of CC events to refine sound on Tyros 5.. As I build a song.. all tracks are sending MIDI to virtual instruments, and hardware instruments.

So when you select a track to modify, while playing song, it starts echoing what ever else the Tyros may be sending, patches, wrong sounds.. change it's volume.

And it's a pain in the but to 'unenable' it.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bumping on old thread but this is STILL easily the most annoying thing in Logic. I've been hating this for 10 years now. It's ridiculous that I still have to do a workaround every day I'm mixing after all these years because they don't bother fixing it. 

APPLE PLEASE FIX IT ALREADY

I agree too, that "jurasic" and ineffective way to arm tracks is a work flow killer. The annoy way Logic performs some basic tasks often obscures its great features and users get frustrated realizing that developers don't pay too much attention to their demmands . Apple seems inmerse in a crazy race to win the "daw with more exotic features" trophy, or the "let your computer make music for you" award. Instead to fix old bugs and improve basic features. Presonus Studio One IMO seems to go in the direction that we all would expect from our dear Logic. The eternal love/hate story i guess :)

• 2 years later...

I have a solution, well for my use case anyways :)

So I have been struggling with this forever too — I have a session where I send midi events out to my Kemper amp to auto-switch presets during lives shows. However, if I accidentally click on the midi track, the auto-arm crashes the Kemper. I think it sends some bogus midi that it can't handle...

I found that if you create a Folder Stack (in my case just for a single track) and collapse it, you can then click on folder track without it arming the actual midi track within. This way you can at least interact with the midi regions and do some basic fader adjustments/mute/solo/etc. without accidentally messing your rig up.

Hope this helps!

• 4 months later...

I found that if you create a Folder Stack (in my case just for a single track) and collapse it, you can then click on folder track without it arming the actual midi track within.

@emr87 Thank you!

I created an account here just to thank you for a better-than-nothing workaround.