Key commands: export a list of unused key combinations

mconnelly

This would be great when trying to assign a new key command, to have a reference of which key combinations are used and which are still available. Right now I feel like I'm fishing around and getting the message that that combination is already in use over and over again. Obviously the total number of combinations is very high so it would help to have an option to limit them to 4/3/2/1 modifier keys. It would also be nice to have the choice of having them sorted by letter (number) or number of modifiers.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

This is not exactly what's wanted by the OP (a succinct list of available, unused key modifiers), but it works reasonably well for me to quickly see what's free for use:

Bring up the Key Commands window (Logic Pro X > Key Commands > Edit ⎇K). With All selected, click on the settings icon in the upper right of the popup and choose Copy Key Commands to Clipboard. This will render it as a tab-delimited text file in your clipboard. Open Numbers (or LibreOffice, Excel, etc.) and it should paste properly in multiple columns. Sort the entire spreadsheet by the third column (keystroke).

You can scan through this list, sorted by keystrokes actually in use, to visually find gaps implying keystrokes not used, avoiding blind trial and error.

Example attached (based on LPX 10.4.8 default assignments), after a bit of cosmetic column shifting.

(I think some spreadsheet maestro could probably create a spreadsheet that would bang this against a master keystroke list to generate a more succinct list of key combos not used.)

Anyway, if someone now has a better way since this old thread start, please let me know! Tx

Logic Key Commands - Used Sorted.pdf