Apple Loops clicking in playback

ReidQPublic

MacBookPro

2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

I was creating a multi track recording with some live audio and some Apple loops. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, the Apple loops I used began adding in weird clicks - almost as if you were playing a vinyl LP and there was a scratch. A repeating, rhythmic (sort of) blip-blip-blip or click-click-click. Does that make sense? It would happen, too, when I previewed the loop in the loop browser window.

I am not able to reliably reproduce this phenomenon. I have not read any posts of anyone having this problem. Sometimes I crank up Logic and it doesn't happen. But once it starts, nothing makes it stop.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for responding so quickly. I cannot for the life of me find a rhyme or reason to how this phenomenon starts (and sometimes stops). I would add that after experiencing this in Logic Pro, I've opened GarageBand, previewed the same loop and get the same annoying clicking. So....something systemic?

Note: the loops used here are wildly annoying but they were simple enough for displaying the clicking well.

Reid

Thanks for responding so quickly. I cannot for the life of me find a rhyme or reason to how this phenomenon starts (and sometimes stops). I would add that after experiencing this in Logic Pro, I've opened GarageBand, previewed the same loop and get the same annoying clicking. So....something systemic?

Note: the loops used here are wildly annoying but they were simple enough for displaying the clicking well.

Reid

Project Mar 4 copy folder.zip

1/ Those are some really bad sounds, both the versions you provided and the those directly from apple. There is a distortion when played through either the builtin speakers or the headphone out through Sony buds. When using the 2i2/MDR7510 combination there is still an unpleasant "distortion," but seems to be reproduced differently. Spectral analysis doesn't really provide much useful information. (However, both dogs left the room, FWIW) So it maybe Apple gave us some really bad loops...

2/ This system has had "breakup" distortion from the speaker system from time to time on playback; different material, different play back levels. I noticed it mostly when working in LPX and it seemed mostly to occur with the low end. I seldom use the speakers actually, and having read various comments on line about the issue, and the typical nonresponse from apple, just moved on...(sigh)...hth.../s~

1/ Those are some really bad sounds, both the versions you provided and the those directly from apple. There is a distortion when played through either the builtin speakers or the headphone out through Sony buds. When using the 2i2/MDR7510 combination there is still an unpleasant "distortion," but seems to be reproduced differently. Spectral analysis doesn't really provide much useful information. (However, both dogs left the room, FWIW) So it maybe Apple gave us some really bad loops...

2/ This system has had "breakup" distortion from the speaker system from time to time on playback; different material, different play back levels. I noticed it mostly when working in LPX and it seemed mostly to occur with the low end. I seldom use the speakers actually, and having read various comments on line about the issue, and the typical nonresponse from apple, just moved on...(sigh)...hth.../s~

Okay, very interesting you have had some similar experience. This is a real mystery since sometimes it seems like they play clean, then another time they can be distorted. I just can't seem to understand what the x factor is. However, I can say that it went away when I sent the audio signal out through a bluetooth device (Bose earbuds and Bose Mini II Soundlink). This makes me think that the problem lies in the hardware of the machine.

So to review...

Distortion occurs unpredictably.

It occurs when listening through MBP speakers or attached headphones or attached Scarlett.

It does not occur when listening through a Bluetooth device paired with the MBP.

Since the loops can be played back without distortion, they are clean presumably.

If you have the time or inclination, maybe you can see if listening via Bluetooth you get the same result (i.e., no distortion)

Rh

Okay, very interesting you have had some similar experience. This is a real mystery since sometimes it seems like they play clean, then another time they can be distorted. I just can't seem to understand what the x factor is. However, I can say that it went away when I sent the audio signal out through a bluetooth device (Bose earbuds and Bose Mini II Soundlink). This makes me think that the problem lies in the hardware of the machine.

So to review...

Distortion occurs unpredictably.

It occurs when listening through MBP speakers or attached headphones or attached Scarlett.

It does not occur when listening through a Bluetooth device paired with the MBP.

Since the loops can be played back without distortion, they are clean presumably.

If you have the time or inclination, maybe you can see if listening via Bluetooth you get the same result (i.e., no distortion)

Rh

good 4th to you as well, stay healthy....and FWIW, I think the distortion in the samples is in fact different/distinct from the another form that is much more widely reported, and seems to be caused from low hz compensation in the speaker playback system...not sure.../s~