Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Another project crosses the "broken" line.

Trackspacer is great for demonstrating it because you can monitor the sidechain signal through the plugin. I'm sidechaining the bass to the kick here, when I hit the "sidechain" button on Trackspacer a few seconds in you'll hear how off the sidechain signal is.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/jr3uv72xmnp2h6k/img_7078.mov?dl=0

I have sent in 2 requests. TBH I think is a major audio engine issue that can’t be easily fixed.

I looked at Reaper again and just can’t get on with the amount of configuration it requires. I know some people love it but to me I spent more time trying to figure out what to do and hunting for scripts than making music.

So I decided to use Cubase as my main DAW and use Looic Pro as a glorified scratch pad. I’m creating a template in Logic to make it look a little like Ableton. I’ll use it for sound design and recording my Eurorack wiggles then take the audio into Cubase. I decided to just use the stock Logic Pro plugs and not even install any 3rd party AU plugs for it.

That way it doesn’t feel like I totally wasted money. But it is a shame they don’t fix it or even give us a status.

• 2 weeks later...

a lot of DAWs have PDC quirks, just different.

or they have different quirks.

you pick the one that has least annoying for you.

for me, logic does the trick 90% of the time.

sometimes i manually nudge PDC, i rarely need it sample-perfect, it doesn't bother me as much, so i keep using Logic, because Studio one was less intuitive and pain in the ass, Cubase is EXPENSIVE and has some other annoying quirks (multi-track timestretch lol), ProTools is just antique, ableton doesn't have a mixer.

so... lets hope apple flxes it.

Well if you do this:

create track “audio 1”

create track “audio 2”

route track “audio 1” over “bus 1” to “aux 1”

insert latency inducing plugin “Linear Phase EQ” into “aux 1”

route “aux 1” over “bus 2” to “aux 2”

route track “audio 2” over “bus 3” to “aux 3”

insert plugin “Compressor” to “aux 3”

change side chain of the compressor to “bus 2”

put a identical drum-loop on both tracks

result:

audio 1 <-> audio 2 are in sync

So it looks like this part has been solved - at least for this scenario.

FYI

In my test LP Eq was reporting 53ms latency which was compensated for.

When I inserted a second LP Eq immediately after the first they went out of sync so there is a limit to the compensation. As soon as I removed the second one everything was back in sync again.

HTH,

Alan

Well if you do this:

create track “audio 1”

create track “audio 2”

route track “audio 1” over “bus 1” to “aux 1”

insert latency inducing plugin “Linear Phase EQ” into “aux 1”

route “aux 1” over “bus 2” to “aux 2”

route track “audio 2” over “bus 3” to “aux 3”

insert plugin “Compressor” to “aux 3”

change side chain of the compressor to “bus 2”

put a identical drum-loop on both tracks

result:

audio 1 <-> audio 2 are in sync

So it looks like this part has been solved - at least for this scenario.

FYI

In my test LP Eq was reporting 53ms latency which was compensated for.

When I inserted a second LP Eq immediately after the first they went out of sync so there is a limit to the compensation. As soon as I removed the second one everything was back in sync again.

HTH,

Alan

The update is not working for me at all. PDC still doesn't work. Even if I only insert one Linear Phase EQ, the audio is out of sync :x

well automation works fine? I can load DS1mk3 + ProQ3 very high linear phase and automation stays sample perfect.

I could make this insanity routing (all ProQ3 are Very High Linerphase - 17000 samples of latency (300ms) and everything is kept in time.

Pro-C2 which is sidechained is also in time.

563936695_Screenshot2021-04-28at13_52_41.thumb.png.0e46dcdca87e9a7f6d92fd73e8da8838.png

well automation works fine? I can load DS1mk3 + ProQ3 very high linear phase and automation stays sample perfect.

I could make this insanity routing (all ProQ3 are Very High Linerphase - 17000 samples of latency (300ms) and everything is kept in time.

Pro-C2 which is sidechained is also in time.

I wonder why it's not working for me? I notice your on Big Sur. I'm still on Catalina, as is Alan Shields according to his signature above.

Yes, still on catalina and yes I restarted playback after inserting the second Eq.

It's working fine in the first scenario. I did use a totally blank project for testing not a template.

Is automation working for you? From reading some of the posts on the 10.6.2. release notes thread, it seems the problem is fixed for some scenarios, but not others. In particular, where a bus feeds a bus with a latency inducing plug-in(s) inserted, the delay is still not correctly compensated for.

Yes, still on catalina and yes I restarted playback after inserting the second Eq.

It's working fine in the first scenario. I did use a totally blank project for testing not a template.

I don't know why its working fine for you. I'm doing letter for letter exactly the same test and its not in sync.

I wonder what detail we're missing?

In the case of the side-chain I can say confidently that PDC is not working fine if an AUX channel is hosting the latent plugin which is feeding a side chain back to the other aux chain. Other people are reporting the same results as me.

I am mystified how its works for Alan...

Regarding automation I will try to do some tests tomorrow, but I think its crucial in testing to test for the same case of AUX channels being used in various ways with latency on the channels in different ways.

In the case of the side-chain I can say confidently that PDC is not working fine if an AUX channel is hosting the latent plugin which is feeding a side chain back to the other aux chain. Other people are reporting the same results as me.

I am mystified how its works for Alan...

Regarding automation I will try to do some tests tomorrow, but I think its crucial in testing to test for the same case of AUX channels being used in various ways with latency on the channels in different ways.

Me putting soothe 2 on a mixbuss to which all instruments are routed, but vocals go to stereo out. mixbuss goes to stereo out, too. sidechain soothe on the mixbuss with the vocals. Killer delay introduction immediately. Very disappointed. Big sur, Rosetta, old project.

idk what you guys are doing but i tried slapping soothe on a summing stack, fed by a BUS, and it's in perfect time. Automation also seems to be in -perfect- time no matter what i do.

The only thing that doesn't work well is if you have a sidechain processor on bus and you add a latency-inducing plugin after. Also Bounce in place.

idk what you guys are doing but i tried slapping soothe on a summing stack, fed by a BUS, and it's in perfect time. Automation also seems to be in -perfect- time no matter what i do.

The only thing that doesn't work well is if you have a sidechain processor on bus and you add a latency-inducing plugin after. Also Bounce in place.

Did you use soothe on side chain mode?